5r110w trans issue - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 03:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
5r110w trans issue

hellp, i have a 2006 6.0 auto

i notices that when i put the truck into reverse is bobbles( almost like a slip but shakes) a little when i touch the gas at first.. also noticed that 4th gear is also acting like it is slipping.
seems almost as if their is not enough pressure in 4th when it tries to shift because i can hardly hit the gas & it still slips a little. & when i go uphill it will slip then bang into gear real hard witch to me says the clutches still have good bite.
i did have a bully dog on the truck but cant see why that would hurt 4th its a high gear that doesn't get a lot of abuse like the lowers.

also is their something that reverse & 4th share as far as shifting because it seems odd that they both are having a issue..

any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2012, 03:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

What your saying is not 4th gear its the 3-5 shift aka the direct shift, the 5r110 rarely uses 4th gear.. The direct clutches are used for reverse engagement as well...its highly possible that your direct clutches are SHOT
Old 02-02-2012, 03:21 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Bully dog can hurt your transmission, don't think it can't. that type of programmer throws a lot of power at the engine and leaves the stock trans to fend for itself. That's all. Good luck.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i know the bully dog trows alot of power.. thats obviously felt..
ive had it on the truck since 5k..
truck lives on exterme with hard shift settings. truck now has 140k..

if i take off slow & just go through the gears i can deff tell its hitting 4th gear..
or are u saying it skips 4th..?

goes 3rd, 4th, 5th, then i feel the overdrive kick in ( or converter lockup)

so does 4th & revers share the same clutches with going into gear,

cause every-other gear is fine..

sorry if i sound slow just trying to figure out if i need a new trans or is it like a solenoid messing up..
Old 02-02-2012, 06:17 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
My truck shifts really hard from 3rd to fourth when the tranny is cold. It will even jump from 1500 rpms to 2000 rmps trying to shift from 3rd to 4th then it bucks REALLY hard. So I don't go over 1500 rmps when the tranny is cold. Also It will get stuck in 4th and sometimes not want to shift down when cold.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:38 PM

no, do some more research on the 5r110, the transmission shifts 1-2-3-5-6

4th gear is only used in under 5*F weather to which it will shift 1-2-3-4-6

4th gear is also used if you are going to fast for the truck to use 3rd and going to slow to use 5th when coast clutch is engaged.

6th gear is overdrive and the torque converter locks while IN overdrive. Torque converter lockup isnt its own separate gear.

3rd and 5th use the direct clutches, this is also used for reverse

That bullydog more than likely thrashed your trans, firm shifts or not, it does not TUNE the transmission. But you could try to replace the direct clutch solenoid to see if it will silve the issue (more than likely wont because this only supplies fluid to the direct clutches on the 3-5 shift not reverse) Usually when you have a direct shift and reverse engagement you more than likely have a direct clutch thats toast.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Carnag3
Is it like this?

Old 02-10-2012, 12:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

not sure what your truck is doing but mine just slips for a short bit when it does the 3to 5 shift.. (from what i am finding out 4th is hardly used)

to me it almost feels like a o-ring is busted & i am loosing pressure around a solenoid or something. i just dont see why it still slips even if i am hardly on the gas its just not as bad as if i am giving it say 25% ( chip is out also) also i notice in the morning it shifts almost perfect the first few times as if the cold fluid is thicker helping a 0-ring seal up..
( hence why i think its a o-ring)
so does 3-5 & reverse share something in common such as the "direct clutch solenoid"

also can it be changed without taking trans out..

sorry for so much questions & thanks for all the help..
Old 02-15-2012, 05:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

so the trans started a new issue today. now the check engine light is coming on alot more.
so when the truck gets into overdrive around say 60-70mph. it will kick out of overdrive then drop a gear real fast not sure if its 3 or 4th it goes into but at say 55pmh the rpm is at 2200rpm.
but it will stay their & not shift out. & while it does this the tow/haul light starts to flashes. the funny thing is that if i stop & take off it will shift all the gears PERFECT.. as if the clutches are fine. but it does 3 shifts. not sure if it is shifting to 4th or 5th gear but it shift with no "slip" & at full throttle. but will not shift past that. went to 90mph & still no shift. but went perfect.. so i get 55pmh at 2200 rpm.
also if i shut the truck off the tow/haul flash goes off but engine light stays on with code 0700.
so does that sound like a solinod problem or what?
Old 03-19-2012, 04:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What codes are being set?

I am having the same issue with my 07. It is setting a P0700 when the CEL turns on and a P0766 and a P2703. I did the direct clutch solenoid replacement last night and no dice. There was some nasty looking clutch material I found in the internal filter too. I hate to say it but I think you are looking at a transmission. That is my next step.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.