2005 6.0 Tranny Swap - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2011, 08:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2005 6.0 Tranny Swap

Anyone ever taken a 5r110 out and replaced it?? The truck is 4x4 just wandering if there are any tricks or advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2011, 08:20 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
5R110 Swap........

Just replaced mine myself. It was not too bad at all, everything is just heavy. I work at a shop so it was in the air and I had a trans jack--without these I would hate to try it in the driveway. I got a Ford factory replacement trans with a 3 year warranty and put a Banks tq. conv. in it. I like knowing I have a warranty to fall back on now to. The only trick I found is you have to have a starter bump switch/ button to roll the engine over so you can get to the tq. conv. nuts. Without that it is impossible to turn the engine over. Also the Ford trans comes with a new trans cooler. They do this because you can effectively flush the cooler out. Make sure you flush all the circuits/ branches of the trans cooling lines--a lot of metal gets distributed all through them, assuming you have had a trans failure. Good luck.
--Chris
Old 09-13-2011, 03:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks for your advice chris... We got it done, only real problem we had was getting the truck high enough to actually get the trans in an out from under it... I flushed the cooler lines with brake cleaner and air.... I hope that was sufficient... It has held up well for a couple weeks now.. I plan to change the fluid and filters in another couple hundred miles.... Do you think that's necessary?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.