Weird noise in reverse. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2007, 05:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Weird noise in reverse.

I have a 1995 F250 , 7.3, E4OD , 4x4. I just put a body lift in the truck and i didnt change anything else but now when i put the truck in reverse and give it power it makes a weird noise...almost like a faint grinding, more power i give it the louder it is. The truck drives fine going foward but only when i put it in reverse, before i put the lift in it never did this and i have no idea at all what could be wrong. Any help wouldn be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2007, 05:46 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Hmmm I really don't know what to tell you. The only thing that could be rubbing from a body lift is the fan on the fan shroud. But that would be continous no matter what gear your in. I suggest you go back and recheck everything.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

i have the fan shroud out of the truck at the moment. Its really weird that this is doing this.. I wanna say its coming from the tcase but im not positive.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcountrysg View Post
Hmmm I really don't know what to tell you. The only thing that could be rubbing from a body lift is the fan on the fan shroud. But that would be continous no matter what gear your in. I suggest you go back and recheck everything.
Not neccessarily. Although rare, I have seen some tall body lifts "shift" on top of the mounts causing the rubbing to be intermittent. (usually from a poor job of tightening things up) Also, if the tolerances between the two are closer, weak or broken motor mounts/tranny mounts can allow the motor to move just enough to contact. Something else I have encountered is the trasmission stickshift will make a heck of a racket if it even barely contacts the the body. But like BC said, there's not much that could make that sound and finding it shouldn't be too hard.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drrm80 View Post
i have the fan shroud out of the truck at the moment. Its really weird that this is doing this.. I wanna say its coming from the tcase but im not positive.
Do you have an actual lever to shift the transfer case? or a switch?
Old 08-11-2007, 06:03 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Good catch owtcast because if its the lever time without an extension most of the time it will throw the linkage off and can be in between gears on the Tcase
Old 08-11-2007, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadracer1014 View Post
Good catch owtcast because if its the lever time without an extension most of the time it will throw the linkage off and can be in between gears on the Tcase
Exactly. And since it is only doing it in reverse, it could be from the torque being applied in the opposite direction is just enough to touch the sheet metal with the shift lever. Maybe?? Worth a try.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Now that i read what you guys have written i went to go take a look at a couple things and i noticed 1 the head is hitting the fireware(drivers side) and the linkage is at the floor ..i think what i thought was a grinding might just be either the engine vibrating against the firewall when the throttle. i disconnected the linkage and put the tcase in 2wd manually and put the shifted away from the body ...but now i think it might be the engine against the firewall. Does that sound like it could match any of scenerios you guys are throwing out?
Old 08-11-2007, 06:14 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
That is possible that it the torque is pushing it against enough in reverse to cause a vibration
Old 08-11-2007, 06:27 AM
7.3 tech, supporter

I would guess the head has something to do with it. That would explain why it only does it in reverse since tourque is bieng applied in the opposite direction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.