ATS transmissions are junk - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2011, 07:12 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ATS transmissions are junk

1997 f250 psd ext cab lng bed veg powered
issue: 2nd blown ats tranny not being covered

well i am now on my second ATS tranny with less than 5000 miles on both that went. the first incedent, the tranny was swnd back to them and after their assesment they said the gears broke due to transmission abuse or abusive driving. i thought i bought this tranny to withstand my abuse am i wrong? so anyways they gave me a new tranny. 5000 miles later it went again. i lost first gear and was getting a hard jump in third gear and it would shift and bang gears really hard. it also would jump into false neutral going from 3rd to 4th. so anyways it stopped moving so we sent the truck to mass diesel (doing a great job helping us) they shipped the tranny back to ATS and now they are saying its broken due to abuse again and they cant cover it on warranty for various reasons. in my opinion, i paid $6300 for a "built" transmission and that should last longer than 5000 miles in a 1997 psd with a chip and an intake. my stock transmission lasted longer than both of these built ats trannies combined! if anyone has a similar story or some advice on how to deal with these people i would appreciate it. stay away from ATS products. Their warranty is nothing once you read the fine print and their products are a joke. thanks a lot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2011, 08:07 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to J HO 22
There a lot more stories like yours. I stay away from ATS products completely because of this. Your truck is pushing 300hp at most and it should hold that easily!
Old 03-01-2011, 05:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Sorry to read this has happened again..Time and time again I and others post.....BTS or JW..only options IMO and hundreds of others
Old 03-02-2011, 09:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

This was just brought to my attention, and as much as I hate to call a customer out on an open forum he set himself up for it by posting a lot of false information. We are going to warranty any failure and the customer was never told otherwise. Here are the exact notes and descriptions from our invoice.

Defective Parts Return -- Customer states the Truck stalls when put in to F or R and foot is on the brake. Also, the trans is slipping on the Highway.
Advised customer to have the fluid level/condition checked, DTCs, and line pressure tested.
2/8/11 -- Shop called and states the pressures are @ 75 at idle and 115 on the line rise. Possibley needs a pump. Shop to drop pan and check for debris, and call back tomorrow. jw
2/15/11 -- Talked to customer and Mike. Mike is willing to cover shipping costs to and from ATS and labor @ ATRA warranty rates and Alldata time.

Shipping /Handling Charge-From ATS Plant- TYPE= (Ground) ATS pay
Shipping / Handling Charge-To ATS Plant- TYPE= (Ground) ATS pay

set up BOL SPC 2/18/2011
2/24/11 Rcv'd E4OD trans and pan - warranty. sf

2/28/11 -- TRANSMISSION INSPECTION REPORT : Built 5/11/10 with Billet I/P, ATS pan.
This trans is CHERRY, NPF. Possible t/c issue, but do not have that report back yet.
Gave to Mike for review.

03/02/11 received Ford TC

So, we received trans 02.24.11 and found no issues, and did not receive TC until today, we will cut it open and ispect and rebuild. As anyone can see by the notes on our invoice, at no time was warranty ever declined, no mention at all of abuse. We stated trans was "CHERRY", that's pretty far from abuse in my opinion. I will let you know what we find with the TC.

Jason Velder
ATS DIesel Performance
Old 03-02-2011, 09:26 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Old 03-03-2011, 09:34 AM

over multiple phone calls we were told that the first time it broke was due to abuse and that there was a good chance no coverage would be given if abuse was done again. obviously the information i was given over the phone is different from what actually goes on. i dont know who to believe anymore
Old 03-03-2011, 09:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiepower7.3 View Post
1997 f250 psd ext cab lng bed veg powered
issue: 2nd blown ats tranny not being covered

well i am now on my second ATS tranny with less than 5000 miles on both that went. the first incedent, the tranny was swnd back to them and after their assesment they said the gears broke due to transmission abuse or abusive driving. i thought i bought this tranny to withstand my abuse am i wrong? so anyways they gave me a new tranny. 5000 miles later it went again. i lost first gear and was getting a hard jump in third gear and it would shift and bang gears really hard. it also would jump into false neutral going from 3rd to 4th. so anyways it stopped moving so we sent the truck to mass diesel (doing a great job helping us) they shipped the tranny back to ATS and now they are saying its broken due to abuse again and they cant cover it on warranty for various reasons. in my opinion, i paid $6300 for a "built" transmission and that should last longer than 5000 miles in a 1997 psd with a chip and an intake. my stock transmission lasted longer than both of these built ats trannies combined! if anyone has a similar story or some advice on how to deal with these people i would appreciate it. stay away from ATS products. Their warranty is nothing once you read the fine print and their products are a joke. thanks a lot
I am new to the forum. To be fair here, can you post any modification to your truck.

Any chips on the computer
addons to the engine, fuel system, exhaust.
differential gear ratio
tire size
how much you tow
your everyday habits
who installed the transmission

thank you, just trying to see through clear glasses.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:45 PM

all i have is a 6 pos chip and an intake its prob pushing 300hp if that its nothing special. and when i asked how to prevent anything like this from happening i was told i needed a full race tranny. well in my opinion this is no race truck i still dont think this should have happened. if its something defective i dont blame anyone but im sure you can understand im frustrated after putting so much money into something and it has broke twice now. it sucks being down a vehicle for so long. sorry if i might of over reacted ATS but it sucks and ive heard multiple stories that are much similar to mine so it worried me a little.

Last edited by veggiepower7.3; 03-03-2011 at 12:52 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:53 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiepower7.3 View Post
all i have is a 6 pos chip and an intake its prob pushing300hp if that its nothing special. and when i asked how to prevent anything like this from happening i was told i needed a full race tranny. well in my opinion this is no race truck i still dont think this should have happened. if its something defective i dont blame anyone but im sure you can understand im frustrated after putting so much money into something and it has broke twice now. it sucks being down a vehicle for so long. sorry if i might of over reacted ATS but it sucks and ive heard multiple stories that are much similar to mine so it worried me a little.
Closer to 200 rwhp actually
Old 03-03-2011, 01:01 PM

and not to mention the amount of people who have agreed with me on other forums and have switched to a different company because the could ot afford to repair their ats or were not stood behind when theirs broke so im not trying to be a jerk here this is and has been an issue for quite some time with many people. im nervous to be honest about it breaking again because it will sit in the yard because i cannot afford to put anymore money into this truck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
ats, psd, tranny problems, transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.