computer or transmission ? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2011, 02:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
computer or transmission ?

2002 F350 with 60k, This started at 50k miles, not hard miles either, never off road. Transmission went into safe mode, took it to the shop and spent 2200 for a rebuild, things were fine for 6 months and the same issues occurred, original shop refused to warranty work due to over sized tires and a snow plow. Mind you theres no snow in the summers here in ct where the plow would affect the transmission. Took it to a 2nd shop they cleaned up the connection for the harness and things were fine for a few more months, At that time he suggested i replace the computer cause his scanner could not perform full tests on it.

Jump to 4 am 2 days ago in the middle of a blizzard trying to make a living plowing snow, Though the trucks had a plow on it for years i never used it commercially til this year, the economy forced me into it, Same issues start all over, vehicle goes into safe mode od light flashing, carefully drive it home read these forums thoroughly and thought to replace speed sensor b4 i took it to the shop. no help, he scans gets 2 codes and says it's either solenoid pack or computer. made an appointment for next day and drove truck home in safe mode again. next day truck runs perfectly fine shifts perfectly through the entire range, I took it to the shop anyway and had the solenoid replaced for 500 bucks, complete fluid swap filter etc for the record magnet was clean and fluid looked fresh when dumped.

Drove 10 miles with no problems, then something new happens, doesnt want to shift from 1-2 unless i back off the pedal and then hit the pedal again, then it shifts fine through the rest of the range. After this each time i let the truck cool off complete it operates through all ranges flawlessly about 10 times then same issues start again. Only code is failure 1-2 shift. I have an appointment in a week at a ford dealer to have them try and diagnose this but they said if it needs a computer i may be without the truck a week or more. I can't be without my means of transportation and income as long as they are saying.
If this could be the computer i'll order 1 today but i don't have $ to waste sadly. Any one heard of computers causing random issues related to temperatures ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2011, 01:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update, after a ford tech spent 2 hours driving and diagnosing he narrowed it down to a small drop in voltage each time the truck was supposed to shift from 1-2 on it's own. The strange thing is it shifts fine on it's own if the tranny temps below 130* max temps we saw were 135*. He suggested changing the iss and oss sensors, both external sensors on the outside case of the transmission. they had 1 in stock so I ordered the 2nd 1 and will put it in thursday. I had to plow snow all day after the diagnosis so didnt get the truck on the lift til about 8 last nite and didnt drive it enough to notice if changing that 1 so far made a difference. He feels if the 2 sensors don't resolve it i have a bad harness. The truck shifts perfectl constantly when temps cooler so he's confidant theres no internal damage to the tranny at all. I dunno though, don't understand why temp would affect external electrical components.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

sensors didnt solve it, today I do the selector switch and actuator kit, 3rd shop I took it to agrees with everyone that the tranny and computer are fine it's just some dumb thing that can only be found by trial and error. Next i'll toss a harness in for ****s and giggles, it's 160 bucks right from ford not really questionable but at this point whats another few hundred. i'll post the results here in case it helps some one else in the future.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
dam...sorry to see thats its a trial by error..

Check all the plugs and maybe use a little dielectric grease
Old 02-19-2011, 09:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

After replacing all the sensors then solenoid I ended up rebuilding the entire transmission, changing to a heavy duty torque converter, new front pump, new transgo shift kit everything possible to replace and upgrade was done, $2700 later and still the same issues. Today I pulled the pcm out and put it in the cooler engine compartment wrapped in plastic and it seems to be shifting fine. The hole thing seems to be related to the ambient temperature of the Pcm itself which doesn't make any sense to me at all due to the fact I can force it into 2nd gear playing with the accelerator a bit. I'll post a final resolution once it's discovered. I have a can of freeze it in the truck with me now to cool the pcm off if i have issues with any shifts to help further diagnose it. sadly no friends with a similar truck I could borrow 1 from.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Replaced the pcm, same issue. 2 ford dealerships techs, 2 transmission shops, every mechanic I know and no one has an answer. I'm thinking theres hidden damage to 1 of the valve body pieces but the shift kit/ rebuild of it made no difference at all. It all still seems to revolve around temperatures but nothing is getting hot at all.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Did you ever get this figured out?
Old 12-06-2011, 11:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yes i did. it was a warped valve body. Not so bad it gave issues all the time just when the fluid thinned out enough to seep through the small gap. sadly since then i had to replace the entire transmission. the installer didn't properly tighten the yoke bolts on the driveshaft . 1 backed out enough to cause a wobble and actually caused a crack around the entire tail end of the transmission. damaged so bad i couldn't even use it as a core return.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ouch!!! Good to hear you got it resolved though. I had similar symptoms is why I was asking. I was just now out there rootin' around the wiring harness and found the oss plug not snapped all the way in and that fixed mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.