Bleeding the clutch on a 2000 F-250 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2007, 11:40 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bleeding the clutch on a 2000 F-250

I have a 2000 F-250 7.3L and I have a problem with the clutch. I was coming off the interstate and depressed the clutch and I heard/felt a small clunk, then no clutch disengagement.

I checked the easiest thing first, the resevoir was empty, D'oh, oh well just fill it up and go right? WRONG.

I limped the last 100 miles of my 1900 mile journey and tried messing with it this morning. I can't find a bleeder valve anywhere on the system, it appears to be all plastic as well. I was looking for the normal external slave and clutch fork assembly but this trans seems to have these parts on the inside....is there a way to access them? The slave (or whatever the black cylindrical piece going into the bellhousing is) is plastic and I can't seem to remove it. Also it is loose and I can wiggle it around while the pedal is not depressed. I had my brother depress the clutch and the slave tightened up and I could not wiggle it. Is this normal?

I think my problem is this
There is air trapped in the line because the resevoir ran dry and it is being compressed therefore not allowing the fliud to reach the slave cylinder disengaging the pressure plate. I want to take the line off the slave but I am afraid of breaking the fragile plastic parts. I will be here for a week and then I need to travel the 1900 miles back to Tucson. I am in Pelican Rapids, MN right now, about 45 mins East of Fargo, ND.

Any and all advice is welcome no matter how trivial or silly, I need to get this sorted out quickly. I am on vacation and don't want to waste it working/stressing about this problem. If I left out any relative information just ask.

Thank you guys for your help.

Robert Bastian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2007, 04:27 PM
MARSOC > Seals

well with the slave on the bell housing you can get a wrench and turn it and it will just come right out after you turn it.... once you do that just pump it from there... after a couple of times check the fluid level again and not long after you should be fine.... i had to bleed my clutch that way cause my master clynder went bad and couldn't bleed it any other way and I just ended up takin it off and started to pump it and heard air bubbles workin there way up..... hope this helps you out...
Old 07-01-2007, 07:04 PM

So is there a way to disconnect the plastic line from the slave? I'm afraid the line will crack if I turn unscrew the slave. I will look at it first thing in the morning. What about the looseness I commented on, is that normal?

I will take a couple pictures to help clarify things.

Thanks for the help, greatly appreciated.

Rob
Old 07-01-2007, 10:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to House22
best advice is go to ford and get the whole new slave and master it all comes in one piece and pre bleed.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:46 AM

Wow, I have never seen a worse design for a hydraulic clutch than this....what was Ford thinking???? I guess I will check online for the nearest dealership and see what they can do as far as ordering the parts.

Is there a better/faster place that I can use that will ship it to me?

Again guys, I appreciate the help. I spent 3 hours fiddling with it this morning and just can't get the air out. On the up side I know have NO dead skin cells on my right arm.

Rob
Old 07-02-2007, 10:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

You Need A Special Tool To Get The Plastic Line Off, It Is Kind Of Like The Tool You Need For The Fuel Lines, There Is A Way To Blead The Slave Cylinder Though, You Have To Blead It Like You Do Your Breaks, There Is A Tube That You Should Be Able To Get At Either Right By Where The Plastic Tube From The Slave Cylindar Is, The End Of The Tube Will Have A Cap On It Lake A Break Caliper Does I Think It Is A 9mm Deep Socket That You Will Need For This.
I Have Never Delt With One On A Diesel, But I Used To Own A F 150
And Changed The Clutch, Put It All Back Together Just To Find Out That The Slave Cylindar Started To Leak, So Out With The Tranny Again, I Would Have To Believe That They Are The Same Internal Slave Cylindar Setup. If You Cannot Get The Plastic Hose Off Of The Slave There Is A Tiny Keeper Pin On The Master That You Can Get Out, And Then The Whole Hose Will Come Off Of The Master, The Plastic Hose Is About 25 Dollars And The Slave Will Run You About 200 Dollars, Plus You Having To Pull The Tranny, If You Have Any Questions Feel Free To Message Me
Old 07-02-2007, 05:14 PM

My slave is not internal, I can remove it but it's still connected to the plastic line. I will try removing the tiny rollpin and fill the slave outside the truck then bleed the plastic line as I reassemble the assembly. Wish me luck!

I hate wasting valuable vacation days working on my truck....what a bummer. I want to be out on the lake in my boat!!!

Rob
Old 12-01-2007, 09:58 PM

OK guys, problem was found/fixed. Sorry for not posting this a few months ago...slipped m mind.

So the trans was pulled and the anti-shock spring in the friction disc (one of three) broke its retaining race and was loose in the clutch package. The shock spring was bound between the friction disc and the pressure plate not allowing the throwout bearing to release the disc.

Sorry I didn't take any pictures, just wanted to let you guys know that all is well and the truck is back on the road.

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.