10k Mod destroyed my TRANY??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2010, 07:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
10k Mod destroyed my TRANY???

So I was bored and thought I would see if the cheap o 10k mod would do anything. I plugged in a 10k 1/2 Ohm resistor and went back to work. A few hours later I went into town. It had been raining all day and was starting to feeze so I thought the "slipping" was at the tires. Once I realized it wasnt from the roads being slick I pulled over and pulled that POS resistor out. I went home for a couple hours and left again. Same issues! I pull over and get a couple codes P0733 and P0741. I know what they are and am "googling" stuff now. I cleared the codes last night thinking that damn resistor changed my shift points and maybe they needed to be cleared. IDK About an hour later I had to drive home, I got half way and lost everything. R D 2 1... nada zilch caput! I ended up calling my father at 3a.m. to pull me home.

Anyone EVER have this problem when they did the 10k? I'm not saying it was it but seems to me it damn well coulda been.

I'm gonna call around tomorrow and see about replacing the TSS and OSS before I have to get "tranny swap" crazy. YES its due for one at 244k, but like anyone I would prefer not to. Especially this time of the year!

Thanks for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2010, 07:52 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
It wasn't the 10k Mod that damaged your trans. I would put money on your driving and the 1805 SuperChips Turner. Your torq converter is shot.

I bet when you did the 10k mod, you went around beating on your truck. Taking off from stop signs and stop lights like a drag strip. Running the truck hard. Now you need to rebuild your transmission.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:53 AM

Send a message via AIM to STRKTHS73
i didnt have any problems when i did the 10k mod on my old truck seems like its just your tranny finally letting go
Old 11-25-2010, 07:59 AM

Send a message via MSN to Mud-Nut
It wasn't the 10k mod that messed up your tranny. The way the 10k mod works has absolutely nothing to do with your tranny, other than making a little more power, which may have resulted in your tranny going slightly earlier in time... But if your tranny went, it was about to go soon regardless of the mod.

Good luck with the fix. BTS tranny?
Old 11-25-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcountrysg View Post
It wasn't the 10k Mod that damaged your trans. I would put money on your driving and the 1805 SuperChips Turner. Your torq converter is shot.

I bet when you did the 10k mod, you went around beating on your truck. Taking off from stop signs and stop lights like a drag strip. Running the truck hard. Now you need to rebuild your transmission.

No actually I didnt... but thanks for your inquiry mother.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:10 AM

I dont pretend to be a diesel genious (yes I deliberately spelled that wrong people, thanks) I get by with what I can and if I could AFFORD something other than the superchips, it woulda been in there. A lot of the things I do to that truck are thru friends or are from the .org members. So before anyone else comes on here rattin on what Ive done, PLEASE I know! Where the hell where you when I did these things in the first place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud-Nut View Post
It wasn't the 10k mod that messed up your tranny. The way the 10k mod works has absolutely nothing to do with your tranny, other than making a little more power, which may have resulted in your tranny going slightly earlier in time... But if your tranny went, it was about to go soon regardless of the mod.

Good luck with the fix. BTS tranny?
Doesnt this mod somehow influence the shift points or am I thinking of a different one? Im not sure what tranny, I've never had to mess with it before.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:15 AM

Send a message via MSN to Mud-Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetpavement View Post
Doesnt this mod somehow influence the shift points or am I thinking of a different one? Im not sure what tranny, I've never had to mess with it before.
This mod tricks the computer into thinking that there's not enough oil pressure getting sent to your injectors.... And therefore, the computer sends more oil to them, which means more fuel and more power. Nothing with your shift points.

That "1805 SuperChips Flashpaq Tuner" in your sig may be a different story.

So.... In the end.... Your tranny is done!!!! The trannies in these trucks are the weak link. So now you have to figure out what you're going to do about it. Your best option, in terms of auto trannies, is to go with a BTS tranny (not cheap....at all...lifetime warranty and the best out there). If you can't afford that, then you have to start doing some research and make a decision based on your budget.

Last edited by Mud-Nut; 11-25-2010 at 08:18 AM.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

My torque converter just went in my truck and took the tranny with it. I decided to just buy an upgraded tranny instead of just having mine rebuilt because of the extra power going to the ground. I am gonna try the 5.6k resistor in my truck soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.