4R100 Transmission Slipping - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2007, 07:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4R100 Transmission Slipping

My husband is having a problem with his truck, so I was searching some sites on the web and found you guys. Your site looks awesome and I've seen some helpful info already so I thought I would sign my husband up and then ask some questions! Here's the deal (BTW - 2002 Ford F350 Diesel) - Truck runs fine cold, once its warmed up trans starts slipping between 2 and 3 and then gets stuck in 3rd and won't go in reverse. My husband and my brother did something (not sure what) but the reports were "no metal shavings in the fluid" "fluid low, but nice and pink not burned". We've got this computer thing that they hooked it up to and they said "it didn't throw any codes, so it's not electrical". My concern is that the boys (hubby and bro) want to buy about $800 in parts that they aren't sure whether or not they'll fix the problem. They've been talking about a Clutch Assembly Pack - I believe or maybe clutch valve assembly, and they were saying something about a cylinoid but I think thats been abandoned after the "no code" thing. These trucks are expensive enough to own and maintain, I want to get it fixed for sure and I want it done right but I dont want to spend any more money than necessary. Any suggestions??? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2007, 12:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

not a tech by any defination, but from what I've learned here, unless the code reader is specifically for transmissions, it won't pick up on any codes that may be registering. I know that at some point, (probably when I can least afford it) I'll have to have mine replaced. (I've got an 03 E550..a bit bigger and heavier than your's). Depending on the severity of the duty your truck/tranny is used on a consistant basis, you might be better off having one built by BTS or Suncoast. From everything I've heard, they're practically distruction-proof. However, I'm certian that those more knowledgable in trannys and such will chime in pretty quick to give you some guidence.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
is the truck stock? or has he done any mods on it? how many miles on the truck too.... mine went out a couple of months ago but that was because i have been moding my engine and the stock tranny coudlnt handle it anymore....a valve body will improve the shifting and feel of the truck but not sure if that is why it gets stuck in 3rd and wont go into reverse......slippage is usually caused by a bad or worn torque converter so an upgrader TQ would help dramatically.... im sure a tech will be along shorty to get your better info.....

oh BTW welcome to the Org.

-Raul
Old 06-14-2007, 01:51 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Blue01F250 Send a message via Yahoo to Blue01F250
Welcome to the .ORG!! Glad to have you here and I bet your husband will thank you!
Old 10-13-2007, 08:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

97 psd my od light is flashing and my truck dies when i put it in reverse. it also shifts hard my code came up tc slipping.is this a sensor or a complete rebuild? 150k stock
Old 10-13-2007, 08:39 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjerm View Post
My husband is having a problem with his truck, so I was searching some sites on the web and found you guys. Your site looks awesome and I've seen some helpful info already so I thought I would sign my husband up and then ask some questions! Here's the deal (BTW - 2002 Ford F350 Diesel) - Truck runs fine cold, once its warmed up trans starts slipping between 2 and 3 and then gets stuck in 3rd and won't go in reverse. My husband and my brother did something (not sure what) but the reports were "no metal shavings in the fluid" "fluid low, but nice and pink not burned". We've got this computer thing that they hooked it up to and they said "it didn't throw any codes, so it's not electrical". My concern is that the boys (hubby and bro) want to buy about $800 in parts that they aren't sure whether or not they'll fix the problem. They've been talking about a Clutch Assembly Pack - I believe or maybe clutch valve assembly, and they were saying something about a cylinoid but I think thats been abandoned after the "no code" thing. These trucks are expensive enough to own and maintain, I want to get it fixed for sure and I want it done right but I dont want to spend any more money than necessary. Any suggestions??? Thanks!
sounds like its very possible its time to get an overhaul
Old 10-13-2007, 08:44 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
97 psd my od light is flashing and my truck dies when i put it in reverse. it also shifts hard my code came up tc slipping.is this a sensor or a complete rebuild? 150k stock
Your problem sounds like a need of a new torque converter. I suggest you take it to a shop and have them do a diagnostic on it. Just to make sure you have no electrical problems. But most likely it is the torque converter I suggest an upgraded triple disc converter. But be advised that a torque converter replacement may have the trans show other problems. Since you need to remove the trans to replace the torq convereter I suggest a tear down and inspection of the trans and repair and replace all worn or damaged parts.

Now to the orignal Poster bigjerm welcome to the org.

Now for the trans problem, when the fluid is cold it is thick there for not allowing the trans to slip. When the fluid gets warm and thins out and then the trans starts to slip. Now I am no expert but I am on trans number 4 with my 2002 F-250 4x4.

What I learned is this, your syptoms are calling for a rebuild of the trans. Most likely the clutches for the trans are pretty much done and need replaced. I suggest a complete rebuilds with upgrades. If you have a shop do it plan on spending around 2500-2700 dollars to repair the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.