Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

F350 trans problem: no power at all to wheels?

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  1st hill 
#1 ·
Hi guys Im new to the forums and my first post unfortunately has to do with a problem Im having, but Ive been following these forums for sometime none the less. I recently bought a 2001 Ford F350 7.3l diesel extended cab truck with the automatic transmission. It has a 4 inch turbo back exhaust, a afe stage 2 intake I believe and a edge juice with attitude that I try not to use.

Anyways the problems was I was on my way to work with the truck, I just pulled out onto the highway and was going up a slight hill, and all of a sudden the truck just lost all drive, so I was basically pushing the gas and the rpm was still going up but no power to the wheels. I quickly pulled over and parked. I shut the truck down and restarted, now I try to put the truck into any drive gear (R,D,2,1, 2X4 or 4X4) and the truck will not move at all. It almost feels as though it wants to sometimes though like a little creeping but its hard to say. The trans fluid is still a good color, the dipstick appears to be full I think, and the trucks runs/starts with no issues. Its the strangest thing as it just lost all power to the wheels all of a sudden like it got kicked into neutral but now its un-drivable. Any ideas what I can check or what this might be? I need the truck running sooner then later before the snow hits, luckily I have a backup car. Could it be something with the chip? The truck made no noises or smells when this happened either. Thanks anyone for help and Im excited to be a member here!:icon_ford:

See less See more
#2 ·
Well I got it in to the shop, they told me its the transmission:dunno: Im not sure if Im going to let them fix it, or pick up a built transmission and install it myself with the help of my dad and some good tools. Any experience guy's on installing a trans. on one of these trucks? Is it quite difficult?

One thing I noticed is when the truck is in drive and the gas pedal is being pushed, the rear drive shaft is not turning at all? Come on someone must know something on this forum :)

#3 ·
The same thing happened to my 01 in Dec. Had to replace the tranny, I got a fully built Suncoast and don't regret it at all. They are not hard to do, took me about 5 hours to do. If you have changed a tranny before, you should have no problems. Keep in mind it is pretty heavy, so if you don't have a tranny jack, get one.

#4 ·
I have the same problem. Short on money I rebuilt it myself. The cc piston return spring was loose and center support roller bearing broken but in all the trans looked good. new kit, rebuilt pump, new torque converter. still the same. did you learn anything you could share with me?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.