Transmission is on it's way out... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2007, 06:51 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Transmission is on it's way out...

Well, I know these transmissions (4r100's) are not known to be the greatest but just wondering if anyone thought it was worth changing the fluid and filter (supposedly done right before I bought it and the fluid is in pretty darn good shape). Yesterday I left home and thought that it seemed to be hanging between shifts just a fraction of a second. I was on the way to my "outlaws" for Easter and decided to press on. When I got there I checked the fluid and all seemed well. On the way home it seemed to be hanging between gears longer and then "slamming" into gear. I was trying to drive as nice as possible and once it was in gear it seemed solid, just wasn't liking the shifts. As I pulled off the interstate and went to turn onto the surface road it was acting like it was in neutral until the RPM's came up. It does this from a stop now every time, regardless of whether it is locked in 1 or in D. Oh yeah, and the truck has 138,000mi on it and the original trans. Anyone think this transmission can be saved? If not Suncoast is local to me, I am planning on going down and checking with them tomorrow. Anyone ever heard anything bad about their parts or service? Sorry it's so long and thanks for the help.
-Aaron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2007, 07:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i have a 96er with a stock tranny. i go 15k - 20k miles between oil changes. i have heard it's best to do a complete flush every 20k.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

AMSOIL ATF is a stable formulation that lasts longer in service than conventional ATFs. It maintains its viscosity, friction and lubricating properties for extended periods of time, even under severe conditions. AMSOIL ATF maximizes transmission performance and service life while
reducing maintenance costs through longer drain intervals.

SERVICE LIFE
AMSOIL Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid is recommended for use up to 50,000 miles under severe service* and up to 100,000 miles under normal service* or according to the vehicle manufacturer recommended intervals, whichever is longer.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:04 PM
Banned

Brians truck stop!!

Best tranny you can buy and backed by the best warranty you can find. 3year unlimited HP. Not to mention 1500.00 less

Last edited by Performance Oil Products; 07-18-2007 at 09:08 PM.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselman77 View Post
brianstruckstop.com

Best tranny you can buy and backed by the best warranty you can find. 3year unlimited HP. Not to mention 1500.00 less
url doesn't lead anyware
Old 07-18-2007, 09:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Brians Truck Shop

It's Truck Shop...
Old 07-18-2007, 09:12 PM
Banned

Brians Truck Shop
Old 10-28-2007, 08:56 AM

more tranny trouble

good afternoon
my 2001 F350 dually w/111,000 semi easy miles has started to slip in first, when cold it works fine, sometimes when warm it will not go into first and start out. When I shift it manually into low/ first I feel it go into gear and start out. I went to my local trans shop and had it scanned, it was clear. I am looking at $2400 for a bench rebuild but looking for an alternate fix like a heavier duty trans or if it could be a " sensor " or something else.
Oh and for amsoil guy I am in the Amsoil hometown and I am on the test oil program and they just put the new style bypass filter system on...thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.