Broke my 6 speed - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2010, 07:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Cj Ford Send a message via Yahoo to Cj Ford
Broke my 6 speed

Well im the first to say I love my hand shaker .. but today I am not so happy with it ..

here's the thing I drove the truck for about 1hr this morning went to the bank truck was fine .. I leave the bank get on the highway shift through all the gears then I go to grab 6th and it goes in but grinds a tad .. I pull over thinking it was weird and tried it again it did it again so i tried to double clutch it and it still does it .. only in 6th

now if I run up the road and stop I can put the truck in N push the clutch in all the way and it will grind goin into 6th while im not moving.. I am assuming its the syncro.. all other gears work and shift perfect

any one ever hear of this and it seems to be the only likely thing that would cause this right?

called ford dealer my shop cost for a tranny is $4000 im goin to look around and see what a rebuilt one is gonna run as I cant seem to find a good used one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2010, 07:33 PM
Shade tree mechanic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
long shot because I imagine it would do it in all gears...but did you check the clutch pedal bushing?
Old 01-27-2010, 07:36 PM

yup it is fine I replaced it when i didn't the clutch and pressure plate .. it will only do it in 6th and it goes in,it just grinds a bit .. the truck will sit in 6th with clutch down the clutch is disengaged fully .. that leads me to think syncros
Old 01-27-2010, 08:43 PM

I got mine from a place called high gear in memphis. Free shipping both ways, they pick up the core. Couldn't be happier. Mine went out because of a loss of fluid. These guys are top notch and the price is right.

Quote:
NO UPFRONT CORE CHARGE, THAT IS A BIG SAVINGS!

ANY QUESTIONS JUST CALL US AT 1-800-323-6211 THANKS,

BRANDON @ HIGH GEAR, MEMPHIS, TN.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:50 AM
Shade tree mechanic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by venom_nitrous View Post
I got mine from a place called high gear in memphis. Free shipping both ways, they pick up the core. Couldn't be happier. Mine went out because of a loss of fluid. These guys are top notch and the price is right.
What was the price?
Old 01-28-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95dieselsmoke View Post
What was the price?
I believe 1600. I had to get a tans and transfer case and it was 2400 together
Old 01-28-2010, 09:37 AM

So why don't you drop the tranny an take it to a shop and have new syncros put in, it would be a lot cheaper than buying a new one.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:48 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamble View Post
So why don't you drop the tranny an take it to a shop and have new syncros put in, it would be a lot cheaper than buying a new one.
Its a lot cheaper than a new one, and you never know what you're going to get with a used one.

Sounds like a syncro to me, but its hard to diagnose through the internet
Old 01-28-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamble View Post
I also want to add that the person who does the rebuilds at High Gear was a former ZF employee that worked in the factory. I have never had a rebuilt trans last more than 20k miles and it seems like you ALWAYS have to take them back in to get fixed even though it is under warranty, but this one I have has 80k on it already and shifts smooth as silk. Also called tham when the trans had about 20k on it and was out of warranty. I was getting a loud rumbling and it made a terrible grinding noise. I called them and they said nevermind the warranty, send it back (offered me a tag to have shipping free) and they would fix it. I pulled the trans and it turns out it was the clutch broken in half and not the trans. I know it sounds like I work for them, but I am not used to having excellent customer service like this.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:25 PM

well I was goin to do the simple drop the tranny and put syncros in it, sounds easy enough but ..

apparently the z6f is a bastard to rebuild and the syncros come in a complete set for all gears parts are gonna run around $800 give or take, thats for the syncros, bearings witch are pressed on and need to be removed to do the job and all the seals and other misc pieces shims etc.. $1000 labour to do the job the whole tranny has to be disassembled the guts come out the back so it will be totally tore apart.. unlike some of the trannys of yesteryear

parts and labour to do this is about $1800 he said that was on the steep end but if he found other issues it could be more.. that is with me pulling it out and putting it back in .. as of now that is the route I am goin to go as I can have it out and back in in less then 4 hrs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.