4r100 over torque safe mode??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2007, 09:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4r100 over torque safe mode???

Does anyone know if the 4r100 has an over torque safe mode? Last week I was pulling a stuck truck out of a ditch and required me to really get into the throttle. My truck was on dry pavement, running 35's w/ARB's & 4.30's. The tires only briefly chirped once, the truck hunkered down(thats a techy term: "Hunkered-as in to forcibly put tons of torque and weight on the wheels in a good grip situation) and pulled, all of a sudden there was a really loud pop/wooshing noise, almost like a IC boot blew off and lost all movement, as in no tranny, no gears what so ever, the only thing it does is go into park, no drive, 1,2, reverse nothing.

I can rev the motor and don't hear any weird noises like broken input shaft or broken tc clutches.

My question is does the 4r100 have some kind of "over torque" safe mode that puts it into neutral until reset? I've checked the codes and there are none. I'm really hoping someone will tell me it's something simple but I think I'm pooched and heading for a new tranny and tc as I won't stand for this kind of thing happening ever again. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Also, if anyone has suggestions on which manuf. to use for a tranny and tc please let me know as well. ATS, NADP, Suncoast, BD, Jasper etc.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2007, 09:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to slammedSI Send a message via MSN to slammedSI Send a message via Yahoo to slammedSI
I have never herd of this before. I really doubt that there is anything like that on your tranny tho. Im sure some one will be along shortly or in the moring.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:18 PM

I did the same thing in my first truck which shall remain nameless. Anyway I broke the output shaft and it didnt make any noises either. I didnt know what it was till the tranny guy called and said I found your problem. If that is what is or even if thats not it but you wanna good stout rebuilt tranny call Brians Truck Shop and he will get you hook up with a nice unit.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks guys, I don't think there is such a thing on this tranny either but I thought I'd ask, I'll check again in the morning. I appreciate the heads up on Brians, I'll give him a call and get the details.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to slammedSI Send a message via MSN to slammedSI Send a message via Yahoo to slammedSI
I talked to Farmboysdiesel about a tranny for my rig once, He had KILLER prices on some great trannys, You might want to contact him too
Old 04-01-2007, 09:24 AM

Send a message via AIM to Albie30 Send a message via Yahoo to Albie30
I did read something about "limp mode" But I think that even had one gear though so that prolly not it
Old 04-12-2007, 05:49 PM

overtouque mode?? Yes, it's called broken parts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.