trans is toast - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2009, 03:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
trans is toast

this is kinda long, but you need the full history. hopefully someone can help me out. i know the trans needs replaced, but i'm looking for guidence on the warranty.

first of all, no flaming about 'shoulda got a bts' or something like that. this all happened before i learned about the other options. if you don't have something helpful to say keep your comments to yourself.

February of this year my trans toasted, completely gave up the ghost. a shop outside pheonix rebuilt it and down the road i went. fast forward to may, and only 2k miles later. torque converter explodes, takes out rest of trans with it. the trans shop gave me lots of hassle over warranty cause i was in california and they wanted me to transport the truck back to them and they would only cover parts. yeah, great warranty. would have cost me over 2k just to have it warrantied.

so, i decided to take it to the ford dealer in california. 3900 later and i have another tranny with a 3yr/100k warranty, fully covered at any ford dealer. figured i was safe. little important info here. when i took it to the ford dealer, i explained that the trans only had 2k on it, and that i tow heavy all the time. i asked if there were any upgrades or anything that they could do at the same time they install the new trans to make it more durable. the service adviser said no, they only have one option available, the stock oem.

fast forward 2 1/2 months and 5k miles. trans starts acting funny again. i am in nevada so i take it in to a local ford dealer. they call me the next day and tell me the trans is cooked and needs replaced. the service advisor also informs me that they have available an upgraded hd version specifically designed for the abuse my truck gets. only problem is that ford will not let me upgrade to the hd version and pay the difference. they will only install the same ole peice o crap under warranty. if i want the hd version i have to pay the whole thing out of warranty. i don't think this is right. i specifically asked the first dealer and was told there was no other option. had i known about it i would have paid for it to begin with. it amazes me that ford would rather replace the same trans over and over for the next 3 years than upgrade it for the cost difference.

i called the service manager and he said he would contact the zone manager, but he was sure he would deny it. is that the end of the line, or is there any thing else i can do to try to get ford to let me upgrade? i'm not trying to get something for nothing, i am willing to pay for the difference. i know there are some ford techs on here, so i am hoping someone will be able to help. I would hope ford would step up to the plate, since one of their dealers gave me wrong information.

Btw, i contacted the ford dealer that put in the first trans and they are unwilling to even try to help me out, and of course they will not recognize any responsibility in this at all. guess i should have known.

if the zone manager says no, can i escalate this any higher?

Last edited by thomasinnv; 08-04-2009 at 03:49 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2009, 08:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Call customer service 800#, start there.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryt View Post
Call customer service 800#, start there.
i did that already. they are the ones who told me to have the service manager contact the zone manager. i spoke with a supervisor at the customer service line and they said no-one there is able to make any authorizations, that it had to come from the zone manager.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:30 AM

I am having a very similar problem but mine does not involve the dealership. I have tried everything except a court case which is my next step at this point. I feel your pain, good luck.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

well the zone manager said no way. ford won't even put in a ford supplied triple disc tc on my dime, without charging me full labor cost (they have to replace the tranny under warranty anyway) and dropping the warranty to 12 mo 12k miles.

at this point i would have to say FORD really sucks, big time. just another fine example of a "stealership"
Old 08-05-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasinnv View Post
well the zone manager said no way. ford won't even put in a ford supplied triple disc tc on my dime, without charging me full labor cost (they have to replace the tranny under warranty anyway) and dropping the warranty to 12 mo 12k miles.

at this point i would have to say FORD really sucks, big time. just another fine example of a "stealership"
I guess all trans shops go to the same classes on how to rob their customers. If you take the dealership part out, our stories are almost exactly the same.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

i hear alot of chatter about synthetic tranny fluid, from both sides of the fence. will synthetic tranny fluid help at all to keep from burning up the new trans, or would it be a waste of money? i know i'm gonna have to learn new driving habits...turn the chip way down, light acceleration from stops, no more manual down shifting. what else?
Old 08-05-2009, 09:51 AM

what trans temps are you reaching?
Old 08-05-2009, 10:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to BIGBILL105 45
Just let them keep replacing them under the warranty you got from the orginal one until that warranty is up then let upgrade. Thats what I would do but it seems that you use your truck for your job so the possible downtime may not be the best in your case.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:07 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by symbols View Post
I guess all trans shops go to the same classes on how to rob their customers. If you take the dealership part out, our stories are almost exactly the same.
not to derail but, I soo agree. EVERY transmission job I've ever had done at any rebuilder: domestic, foreign, auto, manual, was a complete disaster.

i think the only way to go is brand new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.