Exhaust Brake - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Towing, Hauling & Diesel Competition Discussion of Powerstroke Usage EG. Towing & Hauling Habits, Off Roading , Diesel Drags, Sled Pulls, ect...

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2009, 06:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exhaust Brake

I'd like to put an exhaust brake on my 02 7.3 dually. I tow 4 horse goosneck with an 8ft shortwall Dressing room - usually full of horses. Any direction I haul is Mountain passes out of my place. I wondered what everyone was using and how it was holding. I hope to go with a larger 4 horse this summer so I need to be able to really hold this trailer back. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2009, 06:42 PM
Premium Member

go buy a dodge dually. jk
Old 03-21-2009, 06:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well now that was a lot of help. I'm sort of a girlie girl, I like looks, class and performance in my truck, not the ride of a German Tank. Besides, I logged enough miles pushing a Cummins down the road, and not in a Dodge I really was hoping for an educated answer. Thanks!
Old 03-21-2009, 07:00 PM
Premium Member

Well your not going to get one from me!
Old 03-21-2009, 07:00 PM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

Well the cheapest way is to convert your ebpv into a brake. You can do it a few different ways. I want to do it myself but haven't found good directions yet. Do you have an auto or 6spd? If you have an auto you might want to get a torque convertor lockup to help the brake work at lower rpm's.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:06 PM
Emergency Services

Send a message via AIM to cchase
I would get a custom chip, and have the TC lock and unlock at lower speeds, it really helps my truck slow a load down, it unlocks at like 20mph and is like brakeing. Turning the EBPV into an exhuat brake really isnt the answer your looking for, you are going to want an actual one, I am not a fan of banks, but theres is the only one I have heard good things about.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:15 PM

Well if you want to spend 800-1200 bucks then sure get a PAC brake or another bolt on brake. I agree that the custom tunes are the way to go for the tc lockup. I personally know people that have used the ebpv has a brake and it works just fine. Yes its not quite as effective as a pac brake, but it still works good. My wife's grandpa had it on his 02 dually and he pulled a 5th wheel camper all over heck. That thing weighed around 11k. He never had a problem.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Does doing the chip having the TC lock and unlock work sort of like a tow/haul does? I have been trying to find someone with the banks system but i haven't found anyone yet to talk to about it... was hoping someone on this sight might have had one.

A particular chip you all are using you think works better than another. My friends have the Edge in their 7.3's and 6.0's and they are pulling a bigger trailers than I currently am. They like they way it is working for them. But I wanted to get some more input before I chip mine. I have an automatic... and I believe when I'm climbing loaded, it is starving for air. I also have a 2000 7.3 L dually and it doesnt act that way. Have only had this truck about a year.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:23 PM

The right advice should be to not get any sort of chip until you have gauges and an exhaust. This way the hot air from extra fuel from a chip can get out quicker and you can monitor your egt's,boost, and trans temp. I know this is getting off of your original question, but its the safest way to go. Then look at tony wildman tunes,dp tuner, or power hungry performance for custom tunes. Custom is the only way to go for a 7.3. I had the edge and sold it. Its hard on your trans. The lockup is kinda like tow haul on a torqshift trans. It holds the torque converter longer to help with deceleration.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks! That really is helpful. I really like this 02 and decided to outfit it to pull better. Sometimes trying to hold back these big living quarters feels like running down a mountain with my grain hopper behind my truck. I had planned to put quite a big into this truck. I appreciate the help. I have been looking at putting the cone-type airfilter on my truck vs the standard one it has. I'm not too savy with these diesel trucks, but I know I need to change what I am doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.