Question about WD Hitch and Sway control - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Towing, Hauling & Diesel Competition Discussion of Powerstroke Usage EG. Towing & Hauling Habits, Off Roading , Diesel Drags, Sled Pulls, ect...

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2014, 10:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question about WD Hitch and Sway control

My wife and I just purchased a new travel trailer. My tow vehicle is a 2012 F250 CC SB Powerstroke.

Having towed since I first got my DL I understand the importance of safety first.
My question is do I need a WD Hitch or Sway Control Bar to pull this rig with my TV?

I'm not too concerned of the weight as much as I am the sway. This TT seems pretty light for it's size. If this were my 30' boat I wouldn't have a single concern because of it's weight and shape.

It's my understanding the 2012's come with Electronic Sway Control as part of the VSC/Advancetrac system.
Now obviously this is just a last resort feature to ever rely on.

So what would you guys do? Do you think I'm safe without it?

Here are the specs.

Specs for Keystone RV Passport GT
Model: 2920BH
Shipping Weight 5385
Carrying Capacity 1815
Hitch 625
Length 32' 10"
Height 10' 9"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2014, 07:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

yes,you definitely need a WDH. Even though you list hitch wt as 625, that would be empty without whatever additional camping things you would add. Also these trailers tend to be goosie when passing or getting passed. Remember also that that 625 lbs. has a fulcrum effect as it is a good 4 ft behind the weight bearing area on the rear axle. Alond with the WDH, you also need at least one sway control bar.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

From pulling my moms 31' travel trailer with similar specs, id recommend a WD hitch. The trailer doesnt squat my truck at all, maybe half an inch, but with the bars on, it makes for a lot smoother ride and looses a lot of the tail wagging the dog effect. Ive hauled it with and without and its certainly more comfortable with it
Old 06-15-2014, 05:24 PM

You will need a WD hitch, and the new one's today have good sway control built into them, they use the bar's as friction control for sway.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:00 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have a 31' TT and when I first got it used a single friction bar. It didn't work. I think I made two trips before I upgraded to a Reese Dual Cam WD hitch. I have heard a few dealers say that anything over 25' needs more than a single friction bar. The sway control is built it. Just got back from the Grand Canyon and had 30+ mph side winds the entire drive home. I was amazed at how well the trailer handled. Every other TT, 5vr, and tractor trailer that I passed was all over the road. There are a few other WD hitches that provide sway control.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:30 AM

Equal-i-zer WDH is the way to go. Even though these trailers do not make the rear squat, they will make the front end come up. The WDH will change get the front back down where it belongs. The Equal-i-zer hitches have the sway control integrated, so there is no need for a seperate system. It works very well.

Now, do you have to have it? Maybe not... But it is you and your families safety, so I would say it is worth every penny.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well,

I figured I'd post an update here. Eventually I will need to get one.
The weight of the trailer is not an issue, the truck doesn't squat and the front doesn't lift more than 1 inch.

Steering is great. The issue is however this thing is a massive wall that easily get pushed around.

Anything over 60 mph and it wants to sway, actually the truck does more moving than anything. I just don't feel comfortable.

I'm currently looking at the Anderson No-Sway system. What would be the advantage or disadvantage over the Equal-i-zer brand?
Old 07-01-2014, 07:53 AM

Experience... The Anderson is pretty new, but by most accounts I have seen, it does seem to work well. The Equal-I-Zer has been around a long time, and there is a lot fo experience with people using it. The only downside the equalizer might have is that it can be noisy when doing slow turns in the campground. It groans something serious. They have addressed that issue with some updated design, so it maybe better these days.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverPowerStroke View Post
Well,

I figured I'd post an update here. Eventually I will need to get one.
The weight of the trailer is not an issue, the truck doesn't squat and the front doesn't lift more than 1 inch.

Steering is great. The issue is however this thing is a massive wall that easily get pushed around.

Anything over 60 mph and it wants to sway, actually the truck does more moving than anything. I just don't feel comfortable.

I'm currently looking at the Anderson No-Sway system. What would be the advantage or disadvantage over the Equal-i-zer brand?
It sounds like your WD hitch is not set up properly, your front fender should return too it's unhitch height or within a 1/2". If your front fender is raised by 1" then you are light on the front axle and this will help cause the uncomfortable feeling along with the trailer.

Here are the steps I took when setting up my WD hitch:

1- Find a good level area
2- Measure the fender's directly over the axle's, I use a piece of tape as a mark
3- Hitch up the camper, you want the trailer slightly nose down, this is where a bubble level is handy.
3a- You might have too move the hitch head up or down on the shank, too get the camper nose down a hair.
4- Remeasure the fender (front)
5- Raise's too much, tilt the hitch head back this will apply more force back to the front axle.
Lower's the front, tilt the hitch head up this will take some of the force off the front axle.

Don't worry too much about the rear fender, it probably won't drop more than 1"-1.75"

I was having all kinds of handling issue's with my truck and camper until I found the Keystone RV forum and learned that my truck hitch was set up wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.