2014 F350, 31' toy hauler... WD hitch?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Towing, Hauling & Diesel Competition Discussion of Powerstroke Usage EG. Towing & Hauling Habits, Off Roading , Diesel Drags, Sled Pulls, ect...

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2014, 04:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2014 F350, 31' toy hauler... WD hitch??

Hello all. I ordered a Jayco Octane T26Y toy hauler about a month ago. At the time I owned a 2010 Toyota Tundra that I intended to pull it with. The max loaded weight of the trailer is right at 10k pounds but will usually be around 8500 loaded. It's 31' total length with 26' of living space and around 1000lbs on the tongue unloaded, slightly less loaded. Because the trailer was right at the limit for the truck, I ordered the biggest baddest weight distributing hitch with sway control that was available.

Fast forward a couple weeks... I just bought a 2014 F350 PSD to pull the trailer with. Now I've gone from having too little truck, to having something that is probably gross overkill for the trailer. My question is, do I still need the WD hitch? I know the truck has some sort of built in sway control and it's rated for more than 1000lbs on the tongue. Do you think I should go ahead and keep the WD hitch, or would the money be better spent elsewhere?

For what it's worth, this is the trailer in question:

and this is the new truck:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2014, 05:03 AM
Premium Member

Absolutely go with the wd hitch
Old 05-22-2014, 05:43 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Get the new style WD Hitch. The one without the chains. It is SOOO much better than the older models with the chains that you hook to the trailer.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 05-22-2014, 05:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You won't "need" but it's good to run it. I.E. for moving it across town or something short I wouldn't waste my time hooking it up. For a long trip I use my WD slightly taught, not super tight like you see on the road.

FWIW I have basically the same TH just older model so probably weighs more, and I've towed it 30-40 miles loaded/unloaded with my 250 with no issues, no sway, nothing.

I do however prefer to use the WD like I said, lightly applying pressure, same with the sway control, just enough to take a tad off the front.

You'll love how the new truck pulls taht thing, will be soooo much better.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well... I never even got to tow it with the Tundra, but I did tow a 20' enclosed car trailer regularly with it. Those Tundras are good pulling trucks for a 1/2 ton, but they're not even on the same planet as what I have now.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

Congrats on both vehicles! Lookin' good!

If it were me, I'd use the WDH since I got it. IMO, every bit helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperCrutyPS For This Useful Post:
Flite (05-24-2014)
Old 05-27-2014, 10:57 AM

Keep the WDH. It makes for a more comfortable tow because otherwise the front end will feel light. I have a 2013 F250 PSD and I've towed our 8K pound travel trailer with and without a WDH. Without the WDH, the front end felt light and would move around. With the WDH, the truck feels a lot more planted, noticeably so.

Whether you decide to keep the WDH or not, load up the TT and see how close you are to the rear bumpstops. If it's less than 2 inches, you may be a good candidate for airbags. I just installed some and my TT rides noticeably better, although mine has 1200 pounds of tongue weight, which is on the heavy side for a TT.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:07 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You will be surprised at how easy it is to squat the rear of the newer trucks. As mentioned earlier, get a WD hitch with built in sway control. I run the Reese Dual Cam WD hitch. There are others so shop around. A single friction bar will not be enough for your trailer.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I got the big equal-i-zer hitch. It's a beast, but it does make towing REALLY nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.