Tow capacity? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Towing, Hauling & Diesel Competition Discussion of Powerstroke Usage EG. Towing & Hauling Habits, Off Roading , Diesel Drags, Sled Pulls, ect...

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2014, 03:14 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tow capacity?

I have a 2004 F350 6.0 4x4 which is undergoing a full bulletproofing-oil cooler,egr cooler,water pump,hpop,ficm,arp studs. I understand my tow capacity according to Ford is 12,700 for my truck. Im looking into purchasing a
Fifth wheel trailer with a max capacity of 14,000lbs. Do I need to be concerned? I think most rigs out there afe in this range or more seeing as though this is only a 35 foot trailer.

Thanks for any input!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2014, 04:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If the trailer and the cargo in it combined is 14,000 pounds than I'd say you're fine. If you're over 26,001 pounds you need a CDL. What cab configuration do you have and SRW or DRW?
Old 03-15-2014, 04:55 PM

Crew cab srw 4x4
Old 03-15-2014, 05:11 PM

You should be ok. If rear end sags when loaded look into air bags.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:07 PM

you'll be just fine. the biggest things are your comfort zone and your trucks ability to stop it. Have good trailer brakes. thats similar to my 5'ver that i haul with my 02 and it hauls/(stops) without any problem at all.

CDL rules IMHO have so many shades of gray. I have one myself so i dont worry about it... but like stated, anytime youre near 26,001 your getting in to shady territory without one

but 7500+14000= 21500 and i roll that state to state all the time so i wouldnt worry about a thing
Old 06-04-2014, 03:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'm not trying to hijack a thread here but I have my manual open right now. It says max gcwr is 23000 for my truck. My maximum gross trailer weight is 12500. Is that for the factory under the bed hitch system? I have a gooseneck and I know I'm exceeding that. I guess what I'm asking is I know my truck is right around 8000# full of fuel and me. If I take my gcwr and subtract that I'm left with 15k of possible trailer weight. So if I have a gooseneck that weighs 15k I'm still legal by sticker right? Just trying to understand this lol
Old 06-04-2014, 06:15 PM

I don't think they look at gcwr as much as they do axle and overall weight. IIRC I actually think in the manual in states "recommended" gcwr. I don't think the gcwr is on the door jamb sticker but I know the gvwr and axle weight ratings are. Was stopped by state patrol once for 13 mph over in work truck (f-450 dump bed). He asked the gvwr and than checked the sticker himself. I saw him glance in back of truck and saw I had a railroad tie and some tree limbs. Guess he didn't care to scale me at that point lol. Has DOT numbers so maybe that's why he checked idk
Old 06-04-2014, 06:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

So if I don't go over 26,001 combined or over 6k rear axel weight I'm fine? This is all for my knowledge and understanding. Most I have thrown behind the truck was 14k.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:40 PM

check your states laws, but that is my understanding. under 26,001 without CDL and make sure you don't go over any axle weights including the trailer axles.

* I see star driver is viewing....he'll know better than me
Old 06-04-2014, 07:05 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Here in Ga if your under 26,001 your good (according to my class C license) but keep in mind about manufacturer weights and to not exceed that without proper endorsement and licensing they objective goal is safety for you and those around you, so if your under the max class c weight and hauling on personal use your fine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.