Towing Rates For Friend's Boat??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Towing, Hauling & Diesel Competition Discussion of Powerstroke Usage EG. Towing & Hauling Habits, Off Roading , Diesel Drags, Sled Pulls, ect...

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2008, 08:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SteveKran Send a message via Yahoo to SteveKran
Towing Rates For Friend's Boat???

I've got a friend that wants me to tow his 22' Grady from Aiken, SC to Little River, SC (North Myrtle Beach). I've got to drive an hour to his house to get his boat, then from there it's 215 miles each way to drop the boat off and then come back. He told me he would pay me for my time, diesel and mileage on my personal vehicel. I'm trying to find out a reasonable rate to charge him. He told me just to name my price.

What kind of rates do commercial boat haulers charge per mile?

What do you think is fair to charge him?

Before the weekend is over I'm going to be putting a minimum of 580 miles on my F250.

I haven't seen this "friend" but once in the last year or so. He calls me out of the blue asking me to take off work and help him with this. Told me that he has to get his boat up there since it's the only weekend he has off and it needs to get up there ASAP. I've also canceled plans with my girlfriend who I only see every other weekend (lives 150 miles away). He's getting a divorce and is taking his boat to someone he knows in Little River to sell it before the divorce is final. I feel bad for the guy because of the divorce and all but I honestly kind of saw it coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2008, 08:41 AM

* * *Edit* * *

Last edited by SteveKran; 11-11-2008 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:44 AM
Premium Member

im kinda in the same bisiness thing... i would say id charge him about 500 bucks.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:46 AM

1.80 a mile loaded is fare, That is what I charge my "good" customers
Old 11-11-2008, 08:57 AM

Look at it this way... the company I work for has 5 flat-bed tow trucks (roll backs) and 2 wreckers and we charge $65.00 for an "in-town" tow. In-town meaning from one side of town to the other (about 4 miles maximum) When we do tows for AAA the first 3 miles are covered by the AAA membership, and then we charge $3.00/mi for every mile after that. 100 mi tow costs the customer $291.00 when we work through AAA, but when someone calls for a tow and isn't a AAA member... that where we really make some $$.

Things you must consider:

It's your friend your helping.
The wear and tear on your truck (not much, but something could happen).
The cost of fuel.
Insurance/ liability costs if something were to happen while towing that boat.
Your time has some value.
But remember, he's a friend and you must be careful not to screw fiends of family.

Just my $0.02

Last edited by PSDfan99; 11-11-2008 at 09:08 AM.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:58 AM
Conservative and Proud

If he's gonna pay you for diesel and your time, charge .485 cents a mile. That is the federal rate. And then figure out what your time is worth.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:05 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSDfan99 View Post
Look at it this way... the company I work for has 5 flat-bed tow trucks (roll backs) and 2 wreckers and we charge $65.00 for an "in-town" tow. In-town meaning from one side of town to the other (about 4 miles maximum) When we do tows for AAA the first 3 miles are covered by the AAA membership, and then we charge $3.00/mi for every mile after that. 100 mi tow costs the customer $291.00 when we work through AAA, but when someone calls for a tow and isn't a AAA member... that where we really make some $$.

Things you must consider:

It's your friend you helping.
The wear and tear on your truck (not much, but something could happen).
The cost of fuel.
Insurance/ liability costs if something were to happen while towing that boat.
Your time has some value.
But remember, he's a friend and you must be careful not to screw fiends of family.

Just my $0.02

wow my company rapes people then, with us its 80 for in town, aaa first 3 r free then 4 bucks every mile.

Very true with hes saying if its a good friend just make sure he pays for fuel, and 200 bucks of your time. if it takes you 8 hrs, thats 200 bucks for 8 hrs.... that is damn good money.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:11 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee34 View Post
If he's gonna pay you for diesel and your time, charge .485 cents a mile. That is the federal rate. And then figure out what your time is worth.
Yes that is federal rate for govt travel ( I claim it on my USAF TDYs when I drive) but thats not at 10mpg pulling what a 7,000lb boat? So you are talking like .33 per mile along in fuel, oil change, wear and tear along with your time, I would say at least .75-1.00 a mile for your time, wear and tear, and fuel.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee34 View Post
I believe it's gone up since you last checked it Tiff...I looked it up a little bit ago.

GSA - Privately Owned Vehicle (POV) Mileage Reimbursement Rates
Old 11-11-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFBLUE View Post
Yes that is federal rate for govt travel ( I claim it on my USAF TDYs when I drive) but thats not at 10mpg pulling what a 7,000lb boat? So you are talking like .33 per mile along in fuel, oil change, wear and tear along with your time, I would say at least .75-1.00 a mile for your time, wear and tear, and fuel.
My Key West is around 7500 when it's fully loaded with beer/ice/tackle/fuel/crew and I can get 14mpg's on the highway...I think 10mpg might be a little high of an estimate for a smaller boat.

I'm thinking along the lines of .65/.70 cents per mile.....that should cover my fuel and $150 in my pocket. Dunno if I should charge more...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.