Too much for PSD? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Towing, Hauling & Diesel Competition Discussion of Powerstroke Usage EG. Towing & Hauling Habits, Off Roading , Diesel Drags, Sled Pulls, ect...

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2008, 02:25 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Too much for PSD?

I have a 2008 s/c F250 PSD 4x4, and am seriously considering getting a fifth wheel that weighs, according to the manufacturer; 11,500 lbs dry. GVWR is 15,000 lbs. Will I be able to tow a trailer this big or should I look for something smaller? Thanks in advance.

Dinoburner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2008, 02:27 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
You should be able to tow it fine. But if you are gonna be towing it alot you might want to consider a 350 dually. The 250 will do it. but the dually will be more stable
Old 09-29-2008, 02:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

It will haul it. How often do you haul? You might consider getting rear bags depending on the frequency of use. Do you have the 3.73 gears? I haven't read your signature yet if it has all that info in there already, fyi.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:45 PM

Thanks

Thanks for the quick replys. My PSD rear is a 3:73. I will be towing probably around once a month mostly to area campgrounds and once yearly around 2,000 miles round trip.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:04 PM

I tow a 13000 pound 29 foot toy hauler with my 03 6.0 f250 pulls just fine, and am able to pass when needed up hills. Would suggest getting air bags for the rear it makes a world of difference.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:01 PM

Yep. You'll be fine. Do the air bags. Might cost around $500 w/ a compressor but it'll be well worth the comfort. Had them on my OBS and even on that thing it hauled pretty nicely.
When I haul my construction equipment with my '04, I haven't ever come across a situation where I questioned whether or not my truck could handle it...dual axle gooseneck with 2 skid steers hauling in the hill country of Texas.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:44 AM

trailer

I tow a cl40, had it about a year now. sticker says it weighs 12,200 dry, add 150 gallons of water plus the toys and your at 15 easily.
Blew the stock tranny after about a 9months of towing once a month, upgraded tranny, gearing on the rear and can only do 55 top speed, up hills I can get up to 45mph.

I towed this last weekend, the wind was around 25mph against me, I was running 50mph hammering it down to 2800rpm's until I pulled off to fuel up. You have to consider the hills and if gets windy where you are.

I also called a few campgrounds myself and most of them dont allow trailers over 36 feet, unless you have an RV.
Just stuff to think about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.