what style truck to get? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Towing, Hauling & Diesel Competition Discussion of Powerstroke Usage EG. Towing & Hauling Habits, Off Roading , Diesel Drags, Sled Pulls, ect...

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2013, 09:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
what style truck to get?

i'm not an owner YET, lol

i'm shopping around, but I have a few things that are a must.

4x4, crewcab. power everything, with a manual transfer and lockouts.

this truck will be used as a daily driver, except in the near future I'll be getting a 5th wheel camper (late 80's early 90's) and i'll be hauling a 20ft car hauler with a good size tractor. also the occasional gooseneck around hay season

it will be a used truck,05-09 years,

but I'm not sure on what engine yet, 6.0l or the 6.4l? i'm looking for the best fuel mileage, good power, i'm also thinking a cummins(but I hate the truck they are in....)

also i'm not sure if I would need the shortbed or longbed, I like the shortbed for ease of maneuverability, but like the longbed because I can put just about anything in it, and I know I won't have any 5th wheel to cab problems.

any input would be great,
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2013, 08:09 AM

That's all personnel preference. You can pull 5th wheels with a slider hitch if needed in a short bed. Mine is a short bed and I don't have any complaints. I can turn a gooseneck past 90 degrees no problem.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:44 PM

i've narrowed it down to two trucks, one longbed one short,

shortbed is an FX4 Lariat, with electronic transfer, but it is fully loaded with a ball in the bed. NO aux switches, 155,000 miles, 1 owner $22k

longbed is an XL, nicely equipped, has the manual transfer. tow package with the aux switches 140,000 miles $19k

any input???

shortbed

longbed
Old 11-24-2013, 07:55 PM
Firewood Hack

Send a message via MSN to Locust Cutter
The long bed will distribute the weight better and handle better. The Short bed, will turn better and has nicer shocks, (and a bit nicer interior). If you plan on running a tool box, factor that in as well. The long-beds also have larger fuel tanks which are nice when traveling down the road. The short beds are obviously easier to park when un-loaded. Which is more important to you?
Old 11-24-2013, 08:05 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Aux switches can be added easily, the wire loom is under the dash and u just need to buy the switches. I like the short bed better.

Edit: I've owned both long bed and short, if your gunna do any kind of lift with bigger tires I say long bed- they look way better IMO than a shorty with bigger tires and lifted. If your gunna leave it stock height and stockish tires then go with the shorty.
Here's a pic of my old 6.4 with a leveling kit and 35's.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Last edited by mts678; 11-24-2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:24 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
what style truck to get?-imageuploadedbyautoguide1385353469.405239.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 12-01-2013, 11:10 AM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I park my cclb Dually up front at my local grocer, it's scratched dented and old so I don't worry much, but I'd get the long bed if you have that much to haul and seems like your gonna be hooked up a lot, the short bed is obviously better equipped with amenities tho
Old 12-13-2013, 10:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Haven't personally owned a 6.0L or a 6.4L but a friend of mine has had nothing but issues, breaks down everywhere he hauls with his 6.0L. 6.4L is a power house but you're going to suffer in fuel mileage. The Cummins are good, I'd go 01-03 personally if you're going to go that direction. I've hauled with both a short box and long box; as a daily driver its nice to have a short box, fits in more places, easier to park and turn around but if you know you're going to be doing a lot of hauling the long box is going to be a better choice, plus you have more bed room for other stuff (tool box and miscellaneous crap) when you're hauling a gooseneck trailer. Heavy loads and long distances I'd say check out a dually, though not needed, its gonna haul nicer. Basically it comes down to personal preference. Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.