draw-tite 41931 vs 2012 factory hitch - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Towing, Hauling & Diesel Competition Discussion of Powerstroke Usage EG. Towing & Hauling Habits, Off Roading , Diesel Drags, Sled Pulls, ect...

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 07:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
draw-tite 41931 vs 2012 factory hitch

So due to a honda accourd try to mount my bumper, im getting a new hitch.
I wanted to get a class V hitch so i found the drawtite 41931 for $220 with a rating of 12000lb. GTW/15000lb. Weight Distributing; 1200lb. Tongue Weight/1500lb. Wt. Distributing.
Then i found a new factory pull off 2012 hitch on CL for $50.
It is a Class V hitch with a rating of 6000lb. GTW/12500lb. Weight Distributing; 600lb. Tongue Weight/1250lb. Wt. Distributing.
Now i have compaired the two abd they are identical. Same welds, same thickness of metal, same angles. The only differences ive found are the price and the stickers?

I dont use wt. distributing harware, as most of the trailers i pull are not mine.
I want to be able to pull 9k without worry.

Should i be ok with factory?

Anyone have any insight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2013, 09:38 AM

The OEM is NOT a classV with a 6k lb GTW rating.
You would be overloaded with OEM. Why risk it?
If insurance is paying, get the best one you can.
Old 11-02-2013, 01:01 PM

Well its labeled as class V.
Insurance isnt paying. Driver was 16 and it was the unemployed mothers car their deductible is 1500. So i cut the lady some slack and letting her pay out of pocket.
My thing is the different hitchs are identcle except the stickers.
Im guessing Ford is using the drawtite as their oem and slapping an under rated sticker on it.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:46 PM
Premium Member

I know old thread, but I'd like to res it.

I've wondered the same thing. I think the ford limitations don't pertain to the hitch, but rather they are about maintaining proper load distribution. When you put weight on the hitch, the lever action over the rear axel will cause some load to distribute from the front axel to the back axle.

Example; I've tested this on my truck, stock suspension, with a full tank of fuel and myself in the driver's seat. It takes only 625 pounds of hitch weight to shift the load distribution from 60% front, 40% rear to a 50%-50% split and a level truck. This is awfully close to the sticker limit and I suspect is more than just a co-incidence.

No, this isn't anywhere near the payload rating. but should you throw more stuff into your bed (camper in bed towing a horse trailer is a popular combo here), plus the 600lbs hitch weight, you quickly get into 40% front, 60% rear weight distribution territory. Beyond this ratio is dangerous, particularly when towing a trailer.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

not to question it by why is the rating for the 2 1/2 receiver up it to an 800 pound tongue weight carrying if they rated it for the load distribution on the truck?
Old 04-07-2014, 10:03 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewdtr View Post
not to question it by why is the rating for the 2 1/2 receiver up it to an 800 pound tongue weight carrying if they rated it for the load distribution on the truck?
So far as I know the only trucks from the factory that came with 2.5" receivers were DRW trucks. Given the nature of a DRW truck, I would imagine they are designed for a greater disparity in weight distributed between the front and rear axel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.