Anyone use Torklift stableload? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Towing, Hauling & Diesel Competition Discussion of Powerstroke Usage EG. Towing & Hauling Habits, Off Roading , Diesel Drags, Sled Pulls, ect...

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013, 08:32 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Anyone use Torklift stableload?

Hooked up my 40' 5th wheel toyhauler for the first time to move it out and get ready for the weekend and boy does it sag the back end. I heard from my local RV dealer that these things work pretty darn good. Does anyone have any experience with them? Thoughts???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2013, 08:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

What truck do you have?
Old 09-18-2013, 09:06 AM

Nevermind, I see you have an F250. You are overloading that truck ridiculously. You need a one ton DRW minimum if you want to be legal.
You can buy your overload spacer engagers to mask your problem, but your still overloaded on GCWR, most likely GVWR, and probably GAWR which means that tire ratings would be overloaded too.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:09 AM

Expensive for what it is. Looks like it would work, never heard of them before.
Causes load spring to operate sooner.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by letitsno View Post
Expensive for what it is. Looks like it would work, never heard of them before.
Causes load spring to operate sooner.
I have found them for about 160 bucks. Not cheap for what it is I agree but simple to use and install if it works like it should. Just wondering if anyone has used them and what they thought.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Nevermind, I see you have an F250. You are overloading that truck ridiculously. You need a one ton DRW minimum if you want to be legal.
You can buy your overload spacer engagers to mask your problem, but your still overloaded on GCWR, most likely GVWR, and probably GAWR which means that tire ratings would be overloaded too.
How can I be overloaded when Ford's own towing guide states my truck can pull a 5th wheel that weighs 15,900 lbs? The tires are load range "E" so I think I am good there. My trailer weighs about 12,500 dry. I don't haul more than 2,500 lbs worth of gear, bikes, food, fuel, water so I am at about 15K. Fairly close to max but not there yet. I have a reese 18K hitch so I am good there too. Now, I am overloaded in the bed so I need helper springs, air bags or these torkload spring spacers etc.

Before this truck I had a 2500 duramax that pulled it fine and didn't sag as much in the back with this same trailer hooked up. I dont mind a short bed dually but I haven't seen one in the new body style 6.7L. (maybe I could have ordered one)? Either way, what would you suggest besides a different truck and trailer combo. Neither of those are going to change.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:00 PM

The "max trailer weight" is based of GCWR and the "empty weight" of the truck, which is never right. Have you weighed the truck? I guess not, cause you said you "think" you're good on tires. Using air bags, or anything to raise the bed, does NOT take weight off the rear axle. The weight is all still there, the springs just aren't carrying it. It does not increase your GAWR or GVWR. Just a band aid and a mask.
You need to weigh the truck fully loaded with fuel and you. See what weights you are.
Then weigh EVERYTHING fully loaded. That will show you pin weight, each truck axle's weight, and you GCW.
Then we can suggest what you could do, and if you are legal or not.
I'm sure it pulls fine, and it will. But safely, and legally? Maybe not.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Steve, I don't know about the torquelift stuff but I have had good luck with firestone riderite. I had the firestones on a GMC 2500 towing a 14K dump trailer and the ride was much better. I am currently looking into a set of hellwigs for my F350 for the same reason as you. As far as the overloading and legality. Go with your manual and check your local laws. I just found out that I need an extra endorsement to tow a trailer over 10K in TX.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
The "max trailer weight" is based of GCWR and the "empty weight" of the truck, which is never right. Have you weighed the truck? I guess not, cause you said you "think" you're good on tires. Using air bags, or anything to raise the bed, does NOT take weight off the rear axle. The weight is all still there, the springs just aren't carrying it. It does not increase your GAWR or GVWR. Just a band aid and a mask.
You need to weigh the truck fully loaded with fuel and you. See what weights you are.
Then weigh EVERYTHING fully loaded. That will show you pin weight, each truck axle's weight, and you GCW.
Then we can suggest what you could do, and if you are legal or not.
I'm sure it pulls fine, and it will. But safely, and legally? Maybe not.
Jesilvas,

I understand all those things you are pointing out, I did not mean to imply that just because I level out the back end while towing it's going to make me "legal". I have the stock Michelins on there and they say on the side wall that "single wheel max load is 3,750 lbs". My pin weight before I put bikes and stuff in the garage of the hauler is about 2500lbs. So, there is no reason to think I am not safe with the tires.

I just want to know what the best way to level out the rear for ride comfort and as a bonus that will make it "safer". The torklift system is relatively cheap and very easy to install. So I thought I would ask about them. I am not going to sell / trade the truck or trailer so the other points are not important to me. No disrespect intended.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:05 AM

I would still weigh to make sure they are safe and at least the tires are withing load range. Just sayin.

That being said, I kinda wanna put some of these "overload engagers" on my truck. It rides smoother once the overloads are engaged and they seem like they do what they say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.