Trailer tire weight rating - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Towing, Hauling & Diesel Competition Discussion of Powerstroke Usage EG. Towing & Hauling Habits, Off Roading , Diesel Drags, Sled Pulls, ect...

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2013, 02:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Trailer tire weight rating

On my last trip towing my toyhauler back from the dunes I had a blow out. Long story short I had to by 2 new trailer tires. They were st205 75/r15, cause thats what they had and I needed to get home. I was going to replace the other side of the trailer with tires but wondering about the total weight. So I took the trailer down and to CAT scale and got the weigths with about 50 gals of water between gray, black, fresh water, and 4 quads. Now when I go I will have more stuff in the back of the truck like firewood, coolers, BBQ ect. My weights were with the Weight distributing hitch hooked up

Steer axel - 4220
Drive axel - 4380
Trailer axel - 6860
Gross -15460

My last trip to the dump my truck weighed 7800ish. So I wondering if those tires are going to need to be replace aswell? They're rated at 1820lb.
So whats everyone else running? Having a blow out sucks and would like to avoid it this year... Also does the weight distributing hitch look like its set up ok?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2013, 03:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

To know if your WD hitch is set up right, need weights of empty truck and loaded truck/trailer with NO WD hitch for comparison.

With empty truck weight, then you'll know how much the trailer weighs. Right now, it looks like 7660.
Also, what is the GVWR of the trailer and GAWR of each axle on the trailer?
There's a lot more info that needs to be known right now.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:20 PM

If you've got 205/75/15 tires, that means you've probably got 3500# axles under it, which means you're almost at the weight limit now, you need bigger axles and tires under it, dual 5200#s with 225/75R15, load range E.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:57 PM
Serving Our Country!

If I understand you right the tires that blew out were on the same side of your RV.
Sounds like one side of your RV may be over loaded. I am with Star on getting bigger
axles and springs. Make sure that your wheels will take the 10 ply load range E tires.
Doug
Old 07-20-2013, 01:48 PM

Here's a little hint too, tire pressure is critical and keeping your speed around 65 mph...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.