16k Reese bolt kits - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Towing, Hauling & Diesel Competition Discussion of Powerstroke Usage EG. Towing & Hauling Habits, Off Roading , Diesel Drags, Sled Pulls, ect...

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2013, 02:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
16k Reese bolt kits

Hey guys I just bought a used 16k Reese and I have rails, but I would like new bolts to mount onto the bed. Anyone know where I can get just the bolts or anyone have a bolt list so I can go to a crazy bolt shop near me and get them all? Thanks

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2013, 03:10 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Just go to lowes and get Grade 8 hardware...
Old 06-23-2013, 03:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Reese does sell a bolt kit. It's not just "grade 8" hardware.
There are carriage bolts, two diff lengths, serrated washers, flat and lock washers, spline bolts, nuts, spacers of two kinds, and spacers for bed sills.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:19 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Reese does sell a bolt kit. It's not just "grade 8" hardware.
There are carriage bolts, two diff lengths, serrated washers, flat and lock washers, spline bolts, nuts, spacers of two kinds, and spacers for bed sills.
Your correct, Reese's hardware is Grade 5, and has no business being used anywhere near a 5th wheel, Goose neck or Receiver hitch. You will NOT pass DOT inspection with Grade 5 hardware....
Old 06-23-2013, 03:25 PM

Reese never said it was for DOT use.
If DOT doesn't like Grade5, what about all the bolts on the truck that aren't?

And I don't see why it has no use being near it. A 25k GVWR trailer has no business being near a 16K hitch, but is ok near a 30k hitch. I can't find a weight rating on the 30035 rail kit, but I'd like to know what it is.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Any know the sizes I'd rather get grade 8 bolts instead?
Old 06-23-2013, 03:37 PM

You're choice.
http://www.catalograck.com/ImgVD/RES/N30035.pdf
They are coarse thread bolts, 1/2" dia.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:40 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Reese never said it was for DOT use.
If DOT doesn't like Grade5, what about all the bolts on the truck that aren't?

And I don't see why it has no use being near it. A 25k GVWR trailer has no business being near a 16K hitch, but is ok near a 30k hitch. I can't find a weight rating on the 30035 rail kit, but I'd like to know what it is.
I think DOT makes up the rules as they go anyway, but we are all subject to be stopped and inspected at any time. I have to go through annual inspections to keep my DOT number. They are jerks and nit picky...
Old 06-23-2013, 04:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Reese uses carriage bolts on purpose due to the ease of installation with the square shoulder near the head. In certain cases, maybe such as this, engineers will use grade 5 because they have better yield characteristics. NOT higher yield strength but better yield for twisting and bending. Grade 8's are indeed much stronger but can only take so much flex and they snap in half easier.

I often have to work on overhead cranes at my job and wondered when I first seen all the grade 5 bolts holding together a 310T crane. Lol. That's the explanation I got. Makes sense too after you look at the Fastenal spec sheets.

IMO though, grade 8's will be just fine. The bean counters at Reese probably made the call for grade 5's not the engineer. Lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 06-23-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c69ss396 View Post
Your correct, Reese's hardware is Grade 5, and has no business being used anywhere near a 5th wheel, Goose neck or Receiver hitch. You will NOT pass DOT inspection with Grade 5 hardware....
On the railroad, we can ONLY use grade 5 bolts on our safety appliances and the like. I ask why we didn;t use Grade 8 stuff and the answer I got was that a Grade 8 bolt will not stretch, it just fails (breaks) with Grade 5 hardware, when you do an inspection (you DO inspect your hitch before using it, right? lol) you will se a stretched bolt and know to replace it instead of having a complete failure show up while the equipment is in use... Of course that doesn;t help for a DOT inspection... But if it were me, on my personal vehicle that was not required to be DOT inspected, I would run Grade 5 for the above reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by c69ss396 View Post
I think DOT makes up the rules as they go anyway, but we are all subject to be stopped and inspected at any time. I have to go through annual inspections to keep my DOT number. They are jerks and nit picky...
I agree there, we deal with the FRA Federal Railroad Administration, and they are some of the most nit-picking people I have EVER seen!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.