5th wheel trailer brakes - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Towing, Hauling & Diesel Competition Discussion of Powerstroke Usage EG. Towing & Hauling Habits, Off Roading , Diesel Drags, Sled Pulls, ect...

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2013, 06:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
5th wheel trailer brakes

I have a 2006 4x4 F350 6.0L with stock brake controller. MY trailer is 2007 35ft Trail Bay fifth wheel camping trailer with electric brakes. When i was towing this last weekend I noticed that the rims on my trailer where very hot to the touch. I suspect the brakes are dragging. However I do not have very much experience working on trailer brakes. Is this just a matter of adjustment or should I keep an eye out for other issues. Also I have issues with the brake controller; it always beeps when no trailer is hooked up. The dash panel always says trailer fault. I have checked the harness for loose connections. Any manuals or troubleshooting guides would be a great help for this novice. Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2013, 06:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

These brakes are all electric controlled. Very easy to work on. Saw on AMAZON this weekend that they sell the entire brake set up for a axle for $124 if I rember right. I think its like 4 bolts to pull and replace whole set up.
Also when was the last time you repacked the bearings?
Old 05-29-2013, 07:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Wheel bearings and brakes where inspected last year at a shop. It felt like they where dragging when I was towing home this weekend, didn't due on the way to lake. I have done the brakes on my truck and cars. So I should be able to handle it.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:55 AM

I was pleasntly suprised at the price of these brake set ups
Old 05-29-2013, 07:58 AM

Heck Im thinking about buying a couple sets just to have around cause I know if I wait till I need them they will be twice the price.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:32 AM

If your trailer brake panel is beeping and saying trailer fault when there is NO trailer hooked up, then you have a short in the plug or wires or the trailer brake controller is bad.

Sounds like it's keeping your trailer brakes engaged when it's hooked up to them, and sounds to me like a wiring short. I'd start at the plug and work your way back, there should be no activity on the trailer brake power wire if there is no trailer hooked up, but sounds like you have some.

Probably best to take it to a trailer/rv shop to be honest, as you could be chasing wires all day and waste a lot of time.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes this is what I had in my head. When I checked the rims on the way home all four where hot. I did not think it probably that all four brake assembly where faulty. I thought the controller was the problem, I have checked the cable from connecter at back of truck to cab. But get lost at this point. Does anyone have prints or manual in pdf format. Would be a great help.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:24 PM

Did you check the break-a-way, if it's pulled, it will engage the brakes.

And if it is, when you first hooked up, the battery is probably dead, but as you drove, the truck charged the battery up and engaged the brakes.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well I checked break away, did not cure fault. We are starting to get hot days here in Northern CA, and my trailer controller is sending trailer faults more and more. I cleaned all there plugs for corrosion, and disconnected rear must plug at back of truck. Fault still apaired. My belief is that the controller contains some kind of fault. Going to order shop manual from Helms, to get a complete print to further troubleshoot.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:24 PM

Unhook your brakes from the circuit one at a time until you find the one that is faulting out. I almost guarantee the problem is not your controller. You have a short somewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.