5th wheel to goose neck trailer conversion?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Towing, Hauling & Diesel Competition Discussion of Powerstroke Usage EG. Towing & Hauling Habits, Off Roading , Diesel Drags, Sled Pulls, ect...

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2008, 06:16 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
5th wheel to goose neck trailer conversion??

I have a 34' montana fifth wheel trailer and I would like to buy one of those gooseneck adapters so I can use a gooseneck ball in my truck instead of a fifth wheel set up. I have heard rumors that it might be bad for my trailer since it is so big, to use the conversion. the rumor has it that the fifth wheel part of the trailer could be damaged by the different weight distribution?? Can someone clarify this rumor, or maybe give me some peace of mind in doing the goose ball. I like the idea of the hide away goose ball that can be mounted??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2008, 06:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i hear it will void a trailers warrenty so obviously there is some down side!
Old 02-20-2008, 06:20 PM
Banned

The best is the B & W turn over ball goosneck hitch. Then you get the Companion adapter to tow the 5er with.

B&W Custom Truck Beds, Inc.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to pwrstrokinrebel
my girlfriends dad has the gooseneck adapter on his camper and he has had no problems with it.... it is no different then pulling a 40' cattle trailer...
Old 02-20-2008, 06:27 PM
Emergency Services

I thought about this too but I heard the gooseneck adapter acts as a lever on the end of the 5th wheel frame. Mother-in-law has one on hers and there is signs that something may not be right under the 5th wheel. So it scared me off.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:29 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Check with 720Deere - he has one of those B&W companion hitches.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:56 PM

What they said. If you want your truck to be able to tow both 5ivers and gooseneck style trailers, the B&W companion is the way to go. I haven't heard or read anything good about the adapters. They put stress on the 5th wheel pin box in a way that they're not designed for.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:14 PM
Powerstroke Techie

I hated my 5th wheel, I removed the entire pin box and made a gooseneck hitch out of 8” C-channel and an adjustable hitch I got from tractor supply. It works very well. I could see where the extra torque on the factory pin box might be too much for it but mine is mounted directly to the frame and does away with the factory pin box. It cost me about $100 and took about 4 hours to do. I feel much better towing now. I think the hitch is rated for 30,000# and my camper weighs about 8,000#

Here is a pic I found where you can see the hitch in the background;

Last edited by alabamafrog; 02-20-2008 at 08:54 PM.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Send a message via Yahoo to JayCarotenuti
I tow trailers for a living I have had no problems with the gooseneck or the fifth wheel. I have both so I may tow either one. I preferr the fifth wheel because it is the one I use most. There are several types of adapters that can be aquired easily give it a try and see how you feel. Need help email SanDiegoRV@yahoo.com
Old 05-24-2008, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost rider View Post
I have a 34' montana fifth wheel trailer and I would like to buy one of those goose neck adapters so I can use a goose neck ball in my truck instead of a fifth wheel set up. I have heard rumors that it might be bad for my trailer since it is so big, to use the conversion. the rumor has it that the fifth wheel part of the trailer could be damaged by the different weight distribution?? Can someone clarify this rumor, or maybe give me some peace of mind in doing the goose ball. I like the idea of the hide away goose ball that can be mounted??
I'm the Montana dealer in San Antonio, And have been for 9 years now. Yes technically it will void the Chassis warranty, But if you bought it from a good dealer, They will work with you on warranty issues, In all my years I have never declined a warranty issue because of a goose neck adapter. Plus the ones I use slip on, So if you ever sell it, The adapter can easily be removed. As far as how it rides, There should be no difference, The goose neck adapter slips over the king pin on the pin box, The weight is distributed i little different, But not enough to matter.

Good luck, Oh and what floor plan did you get!
Let me re-Fraze what I said. IF keystone wanted to fight a warranty claim. IE frame cracked or bent , The dealer IF A$$holes, Could drop you in the grease, More than likely, This would not happen. If you ever have an issue, Please feel free to PM me, I'll walk you through the proper steps to handle any issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.