Towing a 3-4 Car Hauler - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Towing, Hauling & Diesel Competition Discussion of Powerstroke Usage EG. Towing & Hauling Habits, Off Roading , Diesel Drags, Sled Pulls, ect...

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2008, 04:13 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Towing a 3-4 Car Hauler

I am getting ready to tow a 3-4 car hauler with 3 project vehicles loaded on it for a car show in March from Atlanta, GA to Panama City, FL and back.

I am borrowing a trailer from a friend of mine and it is supposed to hold 3 fullsize trucks with no problems.

I am concerned if I will be violating any laws in GA or FL by towing this trailer with 3 cars on it (2 Ford Rangers and 1 Jeep Cherokee). All 3 trucks are unfinished projects and each weighs maybe 2000-2300 MAX.

I will be towing with a 1995 F350 Extended Cab 2wd.

As long as I am under 26K GVWR, will I have any problems from DOT? Do I need to stop at weigh stations?

Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2008, 06:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump1986 View Post
I am getting ready to tow a 3-4 car hauler with 3 project vehicles loaded on it for a car show in March from Atlanta, GA to Panama City, FL and back.

I am borrowing a trailer from a friend of mine and it is supposed to hold 3 fullsize trucks with no problems.

I am concerned if I will be violating any laws in GA or FL by towing this trailer with 3 cars on it (2 Ford Rangers and 1 Jeep Cherokee). All 3 trucks are unfinished projects and each weighs maybe 2000-2300 MAX.

I will be towing with a 1995 F350 Extended Cab 2wd.

As long as I am under 26K GVWR, will I have any problems from DOT? Do I need to stop at weigh stations?

Thanks for the help.
Couple of questions first.

1. Do you have the proper "for hire" authority to begin with?

2. Or are you just doing this as a favor with no hope of making anything?

If you do not have an ICC-MC#, which allows you to haul for hire, you do not have a legal right to pull this trailer with cars on it.

Further more, if you don't have ICC-MC authority, then you more than likely do not have the proper liability or cargo insurance to protect the public from you and to cover the freight that you are hauling.

Also, do you have a US DOT#, if not, you would be in violation.

Even at under 26,000, you are by law suppose to stop at all weigh stations, because by the US DOT authority, you are a commercial vehicle.

If you are for hire, (which by asking what you have) I gather that you are not, you must have your name placard on the power unit, which is the truck.

You must have a fire ext. readily available in the cab. You must have a DOT inspection performed on the truck and trailer and have that on file either in the truck or your home office.

You must have a medical card.

Basically, if you don't have all of your ducks in a row when it comes to hauling freight for hire and you don't want to pay some big hefty fines.

DON'T DO IT. LEAVE IT TO THE EXPERTS.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:56 PM

DON'T DO IT. LEAVE IT TO THE EXPERTS.[/QUOTE]

1000% agree - Florida is the worst state in the south to mess with, even if you are 100% legal as we are. We have gotton more fines in FL than any other state and GA is second. You must have a special permit in FL to even have that trailer attatched to the truck to begin with -- no permit -- fine = $1250.00 -- I know for a fact this is 100% true from my own personal expierence a few years ago. And as of last week I was stopped by FL DOT and asked to see my permit and I was just driving down HWY 84 from Dothan,AL, to Tallahassee,FL. Not even on the"Big Road". You can do what you want but is it worth all the possible fines that you may occur. My worst day doing this was my very first day -- GA DOT shut my truck down since my authority and DOT was not yet active and I had no med card. That was a long time ago , but was also my first day on the road for myself. Plus you must think of insurance -- your regular insurance policy will not cover the cars, trailer or any damage caused by either/or. My insurance to transport is $27,000 a year , that and the cost of fuel is why we must charge what we do to do what is that we do. But all I can say is listen to the people who do this daily and take our advice. If you are not legal -- it aint worth it !!! !!!
Old 02-19-2008, 03:07 AM

Thanks for the responses guys.

I'm sorry if I wasn't 100% completely clear in my first post, and I'm not sure if this will affect any of the great advice given above:

The tow is completely for personal use (I am hauling one of my personal vehicles on the trailer as well). This is not a "for hire" tow, and I am not doing this as any part of a business. This is strictly moving some cars for personal use only.
Except for the need of increased insurance liability, does towing this as "not for hire" change any of the above conditions.

I was already told I needed to place a "Not For Hire" sticker on both the truck and the trailer.

Last edited by Gump1986; 02-19-2008 at 03:18 AM.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the responses guys.

I'm sorry if I wasn't 100% completely clear in my first post, and I'm not sure if this will affect any of the great advice given above:

The tow is completely for personal use (I am hauling one of my personal vehicles on the trailer as well). This is not a "for hire" tow, and I am not doing this as any part of a business. This is strictly moving some cars for personal use only.
Except for the need of increased insurance liability, does towing this as "not for hire" change any of the above conditions.

I was already told I needed to place a "Not For Hire" sticker on both the truck and the trailer.

Placing a "not for hire" on the truck would be a good start. I still believe you will need a USDOT #, which can be gotten on the internet for around 300.00 if it hasnt gone up in the past few years.

Go ahead and get a medical card just for insurance. Its not big deal, go to your dr., get a physical, have him fill one out for you, they are good for 2 years unless you have some HBP issues or other medical problems.

Be sure to have both truck and trailer inspected by someone that is qualified to do so and that they are labeled as having been inspected.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to contact your home state DOT official and just tell them what you are doing and ask what I need to have done.

If the cars are your's, you better have titles, bill of sales, and registration to prove it.

One other thing, when you go thru the scales, have a clean dash, look alive and if they pull you around, say yes sir or ma'am, be nicer than you would to your own mother.

The DOT don't like no smart @_ _, if you're not nice to him, you're just giving him a reason to FIND something wrong with your truck, trailer, or your documents
Old 02-19-2008, 04:42 AM

My federal D.O.T. was free. Yes you need a dot# and physical. In Georgia you don't have to stop at the weigh stations if your not over 26,000# or shorter than 65' with truck and trailer. Don't forget to get a log book and log your hours 7 days prior to doing this. I have no clue about Florida I would listen to Richard on this one. As far as not for hire goes it don't matter because you will appear to be for hire. Definitaly call the states DOT and get the info from them about certain requirments. Oh yeah check with your insurance if it were your trailer they should cover you, but since it isn't you might not have any coverage. To do what I do you need 1mil in commercial coverage even though your not doing it for hire. It is a big pain and I would let someone else deal with it. Of course you could always act like you don't have a clue and try to scim by. They may only give you a warning but maybe a huge fine.

I do the same sort of thing, I haul construction material for my own company from STL-ATL. I just got back from ATL yesterday evening.

Last edited by silverF250; 02-19-2008 at 04:49 AM.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:51 AM

I just got through talking with GA DOT and Department of Public Safety.

This is what I was told:

If I am under 26K total weight (truck/trailer/cargo), then I do NOT need a CDL, I do NOT have to stop at weigh stations, and I should have no problems hauling the trailer.

If I am over 26K, then I will need a CDL, DOT #, and must stop at weigh stations.

What are the chances of my total weight being greater than 26K? I am towing with a 1995 F350 Extended cab 2wd dually, a 3 car wedge hauler, and 2-3 project vehicles weighing no more than 2200 each?
Old 02-19-2008, 05:02 AM

Quote:
I just got through talking with GA DOT and Department of Public Safety.

This is what I was told:

If I am under 26K total weight (truck/trailer/cargo), then I do NOT need a CDL, I do NOT have to stop at weigh stations, and I should have no problems hauling the trailer.

If I am over 26K, then I will need a CDL, DOT #, and must stop at weigh stations.

What are the chances of my total weight being greater than 26K? I am towing with a 1995 F350 Extended cab 2wd dually, a 3 car wedge hauler, and 2-3 project vehicles weighing no more than 2200 each?

On the weight issue, you go by the Gross Vehicular Weight Rating, not the total weight once you are loaded.

My F350 SRW has a GVWR of 9900 lbs, my 2 car trailer had a GVWR of 14,000 lbs, so my total GVWR was 23,900

See what your GVWR is for your truck and trailer, add then together and there you go. If its 26k, then you need a CDL.

From personal experience, I would stop at the chicken coops (weight station) Was the reason they told you that you didn't have to stop was because you are not for hire, or
because of the weight?

Last edited by BamaSixGun; 02-19-2008 at 05:21 AM.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:06 AM

So it doesn't matter what the actual weight is, just the weight rating of the truck and trailer?

I am checking on Florida law right now. From what I am reading, unless I am greater than 65 feet, I do not need any special permits. I am thinking that I will be over 65 ft though.

Are the permits I need expensive for a single trip?
Old 02-19-2008, 05:08 AM

ALL commercial trucks must enter weigh scales in all 50 states -by law-- GA will stop you for this - trust me on this one too-- $850.00 for running a scale-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.