7.3L sand dunes w/ travel trailer - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Towing, Hauling & Diesel Competition Discussion of Powerstroke Usage EG. Towing & Hauling Habits, Off Roading , Diesel Drags, Sled Pulls, ect...

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 09:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3L sand dunes w/ travel trailer

I'm going camping in the sand dunes this weekend and I want to tow my new trailer through the sand to the camp spot. So I have a 2000 F350 7.3L SRW short box with a Bradford built flatbed, 6.5" lift and 37"x13.50"s. I have all the normal mods, intake, exhaust, FRX, HPX, WW. My trailer is an 08 Springdale 18', 6,400 GVWR. I have driven in the sand quite a bit when I was younger, never in this heavy truck and never towing anything behind me. Any tips or pointers? I plan on airing down and turning the trailer brakes off already, anything else? Thanks guys!

Brandon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2013, 09:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Air down your tires. Lower air pressure results in a larger footprint under each tire allowing your trucks weight to be distributed over a larger area. Air down the trailer tires too.

Watch your trans temps!!!! Hope you have either a deep pan or 6.0 cooler.

I have spent alot of time driving in soft sand. Good Luck.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hey, thanks for the input. No I don't have a deep trans pan or the 6.0 cooler. I'm not going too far though, about a mile. I will probably ride the bike during the day and cruise around in the truck at night, if I take it easy like not climbing hills and stuff, think the tranny will be alright? It's built a little, HD TC and I just had it rebuilt. New clutch plates and pump and everything.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:34 AM

If a mile is all you are going you shouldnt have a problem. I have had mine in the sand loaded for 8 or 10 miles of really soft sand, temps can get high fast. I just went to a deep pan and it makes a big difference.

Normally you would want to run in 4x4 hi, but pulling that trailer you may want to try 4x4 lo.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:39 AM

Your truck will do fine even though it's heavy!
Like you already know, airing down the tires is the most important thing to do for driving on sand, and airing down the trailer tires is also important so that you are not just dragging it through the sand with it's tires half buried. makes it much easier to tow!

Here is my setup that I tow through the sand and the trailer is over 10k lbs.:

Last edited by GregsSD; 04-23-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:47 AM
Premium Member

What everyone says is good advice, I've been playing in the sand for over 40 years and towing toyhaulers for over 10 years. Something to remember, when you start to get stuck, stop.

You will make it easier to get un-stuck by assessing the situation before getting down to the frame. What also really helps, take a couple of 1 to 2 foot wide strips of carpet with you. I use about 20 foot long strips, that way you can get a good run going.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I wouldn't even bother airing down your trailer. That's a small and light trailer. We're in the dunes all the time. Your truck sounds similar to mine. Air down your truck tires to about 15 psi. I pull a 38' Raptor in the Dunes. As long as the front of your trailer isn't too low, you will be fine.
Attached Thumbnails
7.3L sand dunes w/ travel trailer-598484_4194232690604_2008850642_n.jpg  
Old 04-23-2013, 01:37 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
same story, air down and your good. for me and my 9,000 lb trailer i air down to 20 psi on all terrains and never an issue. oh and 4 hi
Old 04-23-2013, 02:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I air down to 15 psi on truck and trailer, you can get away with more air in the tires the wetter the sand.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Camping trip was success

Hey everybody, thanks again to everybody who replied with some help. The trip was a success! Didn't get stuck and got a lot of riding in. It's unbelievable how well these trucks do in the sand. Next time I will bring an air compressor though, my towing airbag compressor did not like airing up 37s. Also I had to pull out a buddy who was stuck in a cummins! Thanks again guys
Attached Thumbnails
7.3L sand dunes w/ travel trailer-image.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
7.3, riding, sand dunes, towing, trailer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.