First big haul. 3000 mile PCS. 14k # 24' bumper pull. 05 CCSB 6.0. Can I do it? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Towing, Hauling & Diesel Competition Discussion of Powerstroke Usage EG. Towing & Hauling Habits, Off Roading , Diesel Drags, Sled Pulls, ect...

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 12:51 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First big haul. 3000 mile PCS. 14k # 24' bumper pull. 05 CCSB 6.0. Can I do it?

Been reading some of these posts and it's tough getting through the gooseneck & "big fish" posts.

I just got my first PowerStroke to move my household goods from AL to WA. I bought an 8.5x24 enclosed with dual 7000# axles. Question is will I be able to safely pull it if I happen to hit the max trailer weight of 14k#?
Truck is an 05 CCSB 6.0 diesel on a 6" lift with 35s. I do have a drop hitch to keep the trailer level @ 15".

Any advice you guys could give me would be appreciated. First big pull and it has me a little nervous. Anything I NEED to do? Different hitch? Bags?

Trying not to get too deep into more $$$. Have to save some cash for 6.0 upgrades.

Thanks in advance guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2013, 12:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

As long as your hitch and everything is rated high enough. 14Klbs is a lot of weight to be toting around from a rear mounted hitch. Keep in mind that correctly distributed, that's leaving you with ~ 1400lbs of tongue weight. make sure that is within other ratings
Old 04-04-2013, 01:10 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atvrider93 View Post
As long as your hitch and everything is rated high enough. 14Klbs is a lot of weight to be toting around from a rear mounted hitch. Keep in mind that correctly distributed, that's leaving you with ~ 1400lbs of tongue weight. make sure that is within other ratings
Okay thanks. Do I need a weight distributing hitch? I've read some people say that's the only way a F250 was rated for 12,500#. Total newbie here but I'm assuming that would not be the one that came with the truck from Ford?

Only doing this pull once then it's just my show car in the back
Old 04-04-2013, 01:33 PM
The Silent Service

First, since you've already purchased the trailer - get the weight distribution setup. First your hitch (if still stock- only one hitch came installed in the F250/F350SRW) is only rated to 8K without it (and 12.5K with W/D). So you are pushing the weight on a bumper level pull. Make sure your drop hitch (which you need as well) is rated to that weight.

I'd be more worried having everything within rating limits - which you are stretching with the F250 and that setup. 14K on a bumper pull, is a considerable load.

Any more specific questions, let me know.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:32 PM
Premium Member

Good luck on your move!!

Tom
Old 04-04-2013, 03:28 PM
Serving Our Country!

So here is what I've got. Looks like the B&W needs upgraded for sure. Not sure on the tow kit if I need to get a weight distribution kit to get to 12,500#. Looks that way from the sticker. Don't really want to spend $500-$900 on that if I don't have to. I know it will be under the GCVW and I'll pay attention to tongue weight and get that weighed before I roll out. What is the minimum I can get away with?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Attached Thumbnails
First big haul. 3000 mile PCS. 14k # 24' bumper pull. 05 CCSB 6.0. Can I do it?-1365117726076.jpg   First big haul. 3000 mile PCS. 14k # 24' bumper pull. 05 CCSB 6.0. Can I do it?-1365117744543.jpg  
Old 04-04-2013, 09:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'm sure its the same for enclosed trailers but with boat trailers, manufacturers usually shoot for 10% of the trailer weight be the tongue weight. So for a 14k lbs load you would be looking at 1400 lbs on the tongue. Your hitch is rated for 500 lbs of tongue weight without a weight distribution hitch. I tow a boat from my bumper which is about 12,500 lbs without a weight distribution hitch. I added air lift bags for the rear and a new hitch rated for 15k lbs without a WD hitch. I don't have to much of a problem with sag in the rear but the bags help a lot to stiffen the rear suspension up, which really reduces the rear from bouncing when going across dips on the highway. With a heavy bumper tow those dips on a soft suspension can really get the rear end of your truck moving. A 6in lift is not going to help you much on towing. I'm assuming removes it would also remove air bags as being an option and possibly a WD Hitch. Not sure they make shanks that drop down low enough. Check out etrailers.com. I got a new curt hitch from them on sale for $250 with free shipping plus they have about anything you could need related to trailers and hitches.

Last edited by Timbo126; 04-04-2013 at 10:01 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:19 PM

You want to get away with the MINIMUM????
Trailer Hitches - Reese
Weight Distribution - Reese
That's basically what you need to be legal.
Will your receiver break? Probably not, but what if it does? More likely is that you'll fishtail and screw lots of stuff up, flip, possibly die.
Don't chance it.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
You want to get away with the MINIMUM????
Trailer Hitches - Reese
That's basically what you need to be legal.
Will your receiver break? Probably not, but what if it does? More likely is that you'll fishtail and screw lots of stuff up, flip, possibly die.
Don't chance it.
I agree with the point you're trying to make but the equipment links you show were bogus. You don't need a 2.5" receiver to get 14000, a regular 2" can do it. You can pretty much just skip the Reese line, it is overpriced. Go to etrailer and check out the Curt brand.

It is unsafe and illegal to tow 14000 with the factory setup as pictured and the goofy hitch. You need better equipment. I tow a 10,000 lb trailer without W/D hitch since I upgraded from the factory ford receiver to a curt one rated for 15000 without WDH.

3000 miles is a long ways. There will be mountains too.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:38 PM

I just go to Reese cause it's easier, and I agree you can do 14k without a 2.5", and I thought it was weird they didn't offer it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.