Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

first time towing.

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  jmeaby 
#1 ·
I have a early 04 f 250 ccsb. I'm towing a fifth wheel and was wondering if I need anything else put on the truck besides a fifth wheel hitch and a brake controller?

#2 ·
Nope, just make sure you grease your 5th wheel plate or get a greaseless ring to put on your 5th pin. Depending on your pin weight, air bags are an "option" but I dont use them (my trailer has a factory pin weight of around 1500lbs but more like 1600 when loaded).

Congrats on the 5th wheel and have fun.

#3 ·
^^ that covers it.

Some advice I would like to give since this is your first time towing. Once you have your king pin in the hitch and you lock it in. Raise your landing gear about an inch or so above the ground and do a 'test' pull. Use your brake controller's manual lever to energize the brakes on the trailer and drive forward slowly. This test pull makes sure your king pin is actually locked in the hitch. Some have not had it locked in and end up driving out from under the trailer and the front of the 5er dents the bed rails when it falls. Not a good thing. After your test pull is successful, don't forget to raise the landing gear the rest of the way.

#4 ·
I'm excited to pull it. Do I need a certain load rating on my tires if so what would u guys recommend?

#6 ·
I would recommend "E" load. But it depends on the tire size. Some "D" load in a tire size carry more than "E". Usually, "D" go up to 65psi, "E" up to 80psi.

In regard to your short bed, they do make slider hitches that slide back when you're trying to maneuver in tighter turns. It keeps the front of the 5er out of the cab.

#7 ·
The hitch can adjust but they say while I tow it down to keep it closer to the cab and only move it back when I'm maneuvering. I'm getting a tow tune also is there anything I should tell the tune writer about it besides weight of the fifth wheel?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.