trailer wiring troubleshooting - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Towing, Hauling & Diesel Competition Discussion of Powerstroke Usage EG. Towing & Hauling Habits, Off Roading , Diesel Drags, Sled Pulls, ect...

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 11:03 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
trailer wiring troubleshooting

We have a flatbed double axle trailer with electric brakes and 7 pin plug that we are trying to get the lights to work. when it is hooked up to my 99 f250 the brakes work and running, blinkers, and hazards work. but when the brake is pressed all of the trailer lights go out completely and turn back on when i let off the brake.
We also have a 07 cummins ram 3500 when it is hooked up none of the lights work at all. brakes work but no lights. we hooked the truck up to a 4 pin trailer with an adapter to the 7 pin and all lights work correctly and i even double checked the wiring at the truck with a volt meter. Next we hooked up the flatbed double axle trailer back up to the dodge and plugged the 7 pin connector in AND a seperate set of 4 pin tow light kit. Everything worked, the trailer lights, the seperate tow lights, and the brakes, but when the brakes were pressed the trailer lights would go out just like my ford. when the 4 pin tow lights were unplugged the trailer lights went out again.
wires we have on the trailer: BROWN (running lights) GREEN (right blinker) YELLOW (left blinker), there are no BLUE or WHITE wires on the trailer. the trailer brakes have a RED wire and BLACK wire going to them. from what i can tell the trailer grounds thru the hitch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2013, 11:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would start by grounding the trailer with a wire, never liked having them grounded threw the ball. But I would check and make sure none of the wires are exposed and touching the metal of the trailer and make sure they're not pinched together anywhere. Sounds like a short to me.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-09-2013, 07:08 AM

ok, im going to walmart to pick up an entire new trailer harness and install new wires. the old ones are ancient. i will also add a ground wire to the trailer and plug so we dont have grounding issues anymore.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:30 AM

The way a 7way should be wired is
Black - 12V
White - Ground
Blue - brakes
Red - L turn
Brown - R turn
Green - running lights
Yellow - reverse

And yes I know brown and green are reversed from a 4way, but that's how it is.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:08 PM

we installed all new wiring and lights to the trailer and added a ground (white) wire and everything is brighter than before and works perfectly. i think the ground wire helped a lot. and the issues i was having with the brakes were the colors of the wires. i did not have a BLUE wire like i am supposed to. my brakes had a red and black wire. what i ended up doing was ground the black wire and plug the red wire in the blue slot for the brakes. took it for a test drive and the brakes work great. thanks KAKnight
Old 03-09-2013, 08:41 PM

Glade you got it fingered out
Now your trailer lights won't flicker going down the road due to poor grounding through the ball

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-09-2013, 09:25 PM

Sounds like with no ground, when you hit the brakes, it was pulling enough juice to kill the lights.

Glad you got it fixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.