Too much or not enough? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Towing, Hauling & Diesel Competition Discussion of Powerstroke Usage EG. Towing & Hauling Habits, Off Roading , Diesel Drags, Sled Pulls, ect...

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 06:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Too much or not enough?

There is a possibility i will be moving a few states away. Nor sure what it would cost to contract a moving company to do the deed. Something ive been tossing around is picking up a used 40 foot enclosed tandom car hauler. I should be able to make it cars and all in 2 trips. I'm just wondering if that would be asking a lot on a 95 f350 in my sig. Truck is stock as they come right now. Best case prior to the move would be an intake DP and maybe a tune with some gauges. You think ill be asking too much or would she be ok.

I know this is a general question due to the fact that i have no clue on a gross wieght. The house is a 3 best room 2500 sq foot place. More kids toys than anything else. Heaviest part would ive if i loaded both cars for a trip. Anyway i know there are a LOT of variables but any input is a help and much appreciated.

Thanks
Vandy

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2013, 07:12 PM

For starters, you won't get two cars in a 40 footer, unless they're small.

By the time you do the mods to the truck, you'd have half of the moving truck paid for. Plus, how much time are you going to waste going back and forth, plus the cost of the trailer compared to the truck, plus all the loading and unloading. I'd just hire the moving company, make one trip and be done with it.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:45 AM

Re: Too much or not enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarDriver View Post
For starters, you won't get two cars in a 40 footer, unless they're small.

By the time you do the mods to the truck, you'd have half of the moving truck paid for. Plus, how much time are you going to waste going back and forth, plus the cost of the trailer compared to the truck, plus all the loading and unloading. I'd just hire the moving company, make one trip and be done with it.
I completely get where ur coming from. Trust me i hate moving my self. I have no idea what a move like this would cost. My thinking is if lets say it costs 5k to contract a move company and i can get a trailer that i can turn around and sell. Then in the long run I'd come out ahead. If i had 2 cars in there it would be a mustang and a kia

Old 03-05-2013, 08:04 AM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
In the long run, but you have to consider how much the trailer will be worth when ever you get where your going, but if you do contract someone make sure it's not a broker, we had 2 men and a truck pick our stuff up in nc, packed it and everything, and I wanna say mayflower ended up dropping it off in ca
Old 03-05-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandy View Post
I completely get where ur coming from. Trust me i hate moving my self. I have no idea what a move like this would cost. My thinking is if lets say it costs 5k to contract a move company and i can get a trailer that i can turn around and sell. Then in the long run I'd come out ahead. If i had 2 cars in there it would be a mustang and a kia

You might be alright, just remember, a 40 ft trailer means there's only 32 ft on the floor.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:55 PM

Re: Too much or not enough?

That is a tight fit then. Lol. Total of 7600 lbs of car and 31 inches.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:24 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I did that a few years ago and it sucked. Went with a triple axle 36' enclosed gooseneck that's 8'x8' inside. I lived by myself in a 2 bedroom apartment at the time and ended up at 28,000 lbs. The worst part was I lived in CA at the time and enclosed goosenecks are nearly imposable to find so I ended up buying a used one in Vegas for almost as much as a new one in Texas.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:20 PM

If you want a '48 ft, mine will be for sale soon............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.