Best Exhaust Brake for 6.0 PSD? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Towing, Hauling & Diesel Competition Discussion of Powerstroke Usage EG. Towing & Hauling Habits, Off Roading , Diesel Drags, Sled Pulls, ect...

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 11:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Best Exhaust Brake for 6.0 PSD?

Gonna be purchasing a 5th wheel here soon. Thats the main reason I got my 07 6.0. My question is what is the best exhaust brake for the 6.0? Is a mechanical Exhaust brake the way to go? Or something like the Banks Speed Brake? Any opinion or real world knowledge will be of great help. I just like the idea of the extra safety that it would give me. Also does either of these give off a sound kinda like a jake brake?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 01:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Re: Best Exhaust Brake for 6.0 PSD?

If you run it in tow/haul it has a engine brake stock i believe it uses backpressure from the turbo. I use that and also had one written into my tow tune from innovative and it does sound pretty cool!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 01-31-2013, 01:15 PM
The Silent Service

Do not install any form of mechanical Jake Brake on a 6.0L, and here's a few reasons why:

1) Possible exhaust valve striking the piston due to back pressures.
2) Damage to VGT turbo due to excessive back pressure.
3) Significant issues with the engine overall.

As for the Banks product, I wouldn't use that either. Banks products are pretty overpriced for what they do.

So, what are your options:

1) Run stock with tow/haul mode engaged. Very reliable and effective on the 5R110 Autos.
2) Get a SCT tuner, and a proper towing file for your application. Balance and work with the tuner based on how much power you would like (based on acceptable EGTs), and how you would like that turbo to work for you descending the grades.

From experience, the stock turbo, programing, and tow/haul mode behave pretty well on the grades for me for most loads that guys are pulling.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

strokin&smokin07 do you run your truck with the tow tune on all the time? Or do you just flash that every time you tow. With your tune is there a way to control the exhaust brake function (like on and off)
Old 01-31-2013, 01:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the replies ......... Great info
Old 02-11-2013, 05:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

There is no exhaust brake on a 6.0, all it does is downshift the transmission. The turbo doesn't help slow it down either.........

Now, I had a Pac Brake on my Dodge, it works as good as the Jake Brake on my CAT.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

All the Tow/Haul button does is Lock up Torque converter, Hold the gears longer, and Downshift accordingly. It does work quite well though. I used to have a 15K lb (dry weight) Fifth wheel toy hauler. Did just fine going down grade. Just remember, your not driving a race car. Slow down before the hill..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.