Looking for a gooseneck to haul my tractor. Any tips - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Towing, Hauling & Diesel Competition Discussion of Powerstroke Usage EG. Towing & Hauling Habits, Off Roading , Diesel Drags, Sled Pulls, ect...

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-30-2013, 08:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Southeast Georgia
Posts: 22
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looking for a gooseneck to haul my tractor. Any tips

on what to look for, manufacturers to avoid? Would prefer a used one. The truck is a 2011 Crew Cab 2 wheel drive diesel with a B&W gooseneck hitch. The tractor weighs 7300lbs and I have a small trackhoe that is 6500lbs. Don't think I can legally tow them at the same time, but would like to upgrade from my bumper pull 10k trailer. Suggestions are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 02-02-2013, 04:11 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!



 

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canton and kennesaw
Posts: 21,525
Thanks: 19
Thanked 138 Times in 126 Posts
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
How long is your trailer? And just make sure you have good axles under what ever trailer and heavy steel for a frame, 6 lug and up. Btw your load is what about 13.8k combined so if your truck and trailer combined are at 6.2k you end up with 20k, what's your max gcwr?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 02-02-2013, 04:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Delaware
Posts: 1,048
Thanks: 16
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If you have dual wheels in the rear you should be legal. Not sure what SRW tow weight is. What exactly are you driving? There are quite a few good trailer builders up in PA but not sure if you want to go that far but they sell direct so no middle man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 02-02-2013, 04:52 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!



 

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canton and kennesaw
Posts: 21,525
Thanks: 19
Thanked 138 Times in 126 Posts
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
From what I hear big tex actually has an assembly plant in south ga here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 02-02-2013, 05:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Dahlonega, GA
Posts: 2,816
Thanks: 4
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Contact Trailers for Less in GA, they are a dealer and can help you out. Good guys and good prices, I get alot of parts from them.

I hope the 2011 is an F-350 DRW, that is the MINIMUM, I would use on that, a 450 or 550 would be better, that's alot of weight. I'd look at a trailer with electric over hydraulic brakes. You definitely want a gooseneck for this job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 02-02-2013, 06:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Far From Bieber
Posts: 2,069
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I've owned just about every big brand of tandem dual gooseneck trailer out there.

From my experience, Texas Pride is a good trailer and their prices are better than most. I DO NOT care for Big Tex trailers. Delta makes a nice trailer but they are hard to find if you're going the used route. I prefer radial tires over bias ply.

Whatever you get, spend the extra few hundred bucks and get a torque tube, LED lights and dual speed jacks.

A lot of your decision will be based on how much you want to spend, new or used and are you willing to drive a little ways to get one. Are you hauling commercially or just for personal use?

PM me if you have any specific questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 02-02-2013, 06:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New Fairfield CT
Posts: 1,042
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to kendallcschm
Quote:
Originally Posted by 351fifty View Post
How long is your trailer? And just make sure you have good axles under what ever trailer and heavy steel for a frame, 6 lug and up. Btw your load is what about 13.8k combined so if your truck and trailer combined are at 6.2k you end up with 20k, what's your max gcwr?
a 2007 F250 CCSB can take 23.5-26K GCWR... so I'd say he's ok depending on the weight of the trailer and his gear ratio.. i mean he has a 2011 so i'd imagine its more than an old 6.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarDriver View Post
Contact Trailers for Less in GA, they are a dealer and can help you out. Good guys and good prices, I get alot of parts from them.

I hope the 2011 is an F-350 DRW, that is the MINIMUM, I would use on that, a 450 or 550 would be better, that's alot of weight. I'd look at a trailer with electric over hydraulic brakes. You definitely want a gooseneck for this job.
why would you say that? i towed 19K with my F-250? its rated for 23,500lbs.. granted that probably wasn't legal but hey it was fully capable..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 02-02-2013, 06:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Far From Bieber
Posts: 2,069
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
This thread is going to head in the wrong direction. A lot of people on here haul commercially and are going to give you advice based on what they have to go through to haul.

If you're not hauling commercially, your truck is fine with the weight. If you have to stop at scales and have a CDL, don't haul those loads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 02-02-2013, 06:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New Fairfield CT
Posts: 1,042
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to kendallcschm
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordpwrstroke7 View Post
This thread is going to head in the wrong direction. A lot of people on here haul commercially and are going to give you advice based on what they have to go through to haul.

If you're not hauling commercially, your truck is fine with the weight. If you have to stop at scales and have a CDL, don't haul those loads.
my point.. is he hauling commercially.. cause if not he should be fine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 02-02-2013, 06:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Far From Bieber
Posts: 2,069
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordpwrstroke7 View Post
I've owned just about every big brand of tandem dual gooseneck trailer out there.

From my experience, Texas Pride is a good trailer and their prices are better than most. I DO NOT care for Big Tex trailers. Delta makes a nice trailer but they are hard to find if you're going the used route. I prefer radial tires over bias ply.

Whatever you get, spend the extra few hundred bucks and get a torque tube, LED lights and dual speed jacks.

A lot of your decision will be based on how much you want to spend, new or used and are you willing to drive a little ways to get one. Are you hauling commercially or just for personal use?
PM me if you have any specific questions.
Right. Same question I asked previously. Let's see what he has to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors