F250 Payload - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Towing, Hauling & Diesel Competition Discussion of Powerstroke Usage EG. Towing & Hauling Habits, Off Roading , Diesel Drags, Sled Pulls, ect...

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2012, 05:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
F250 Payload

i think my first post on this topic was in wrong section...

My F250 SD, 4x2 Supercab SRW, with tow package, 10,000 lb GVW package, and 3.31 Elocker has a listed payload of 2878 lbs. I'm thinking this means that the truck weighs 7122 lbs.
So, if I back out a tank of fuel + tank of DEF + weight of self and DW, and weight of toolbox/tools/misc, I come up with a new payload of 2065 lbs.

1. Is my math/thinking right?

2. If we're thinking of a 5'er with 22% pin weight, then the weight of the 5'er hitch (65 lbs?) must also back out. Now I'm down to a loaded trailer weight of 9500 lbs+/-.

Hmm...

Okay, so what am I missing? Or....what can I do to increase payload without compromising truck?

FWIW, This trucks 5'er tow rating is 16,400 lbs. Something doesn't add up here.

K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2012, 10:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Tow it, the truck can handle it. I've never been checked towing Heavy 20 years, nearly weekly, through almost every state.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The payload sticker includes a full tank of gas. If you want to know for sure go to a local CAT scale (lots of truck stops have them) and weigh the truck with a full fuel tank and everything else you would normally bring including the DW. Subtract that number from 10000 and that is your remaining payload for a trailer.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Payload is the carrying capacity of the truck in the bed and cab. Not towing capacity. If you are rated 16400 towing then your trailer can weigh 16400. You need to look at gcwr so you don't go over. If its 23600 and your truck is 7200 then you can pull the trailer scaling 16400. If you have 2800 added in the truck ten you have to subtract the same from the trailer to stay within gcwr.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexter View Post
Payload is the carrying capacity of the truck in the bed and cab. Not towing capacity. If you are rated 16400 towing then your trailer can weigh 16400. You need to look at gcwr so you don't go over. If its 23600 and your truck is 7200 then you can pull the trailer scaling 16400. If you have 2800 added in the truck ten you have to subtract the same from the trailer to stay within gcwr.
This is not 100% true. A fifth wheel typically has 20% pin weight. 20% of 16400 is 3280 pounds. That 3280 is added to the weight of the truck. If the truck weighs 7200 pounds and the GVWR is 10000 pounds, then in this example the truck will be overweight by 480 pounds before there is any person or other stuff in the truck.

I am not saying the truck will not pull it. I am saying the truck will not pull it without legally being overweight.

Ford can say that a F-250 can tow 16400. What they don't tell you is you have to get a XL regular cab to have the available payload to do it.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

hence my point in staying within weight ratings. just because it can pull it doesn't mean you should.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.