Fifthwheel hitch weight distribution - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Towing, Hauling & Diesel Competition Discussion of Powerstroke Usage EG. Towing & Hauling Habits, Off Roading , Diesel Drags, Sled Pulls, ect...

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2012, 10:25 AM
Glow Plugs Only

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fifthwheel hitch weight distribution

Today I ran by the local gravel yard and had them weigh my 05 F250 CCSB 4X4. He gave me the total weight of 3700KG (8140LBS), rear axle 1520KG (3340LBS) and front axle 2180KG (4796LBS). Only thing missing is the hitch (335LBS) is not in the truck at the moment. Once the trailer is attached and say the pin weight is 1800 LBS. Does anybody know from past experience how much of that 1800 LBS is seen by the rear axle and how much is shared by the front axle approximately? The bulk would be on the rear but there must be a percentage of the 1800LBS that is transferred to the front axle. Looking to buy a new fifthwheel but don't want to overload the rear axle or go over the GVWR or the CGVWR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2012, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

Hmmm. Good question. I've never thought about that. I know the hitch point of the 5er hitch sits just forward of the axle in order to keep 'some' weight up front.

You might try Googling it. With as long as people have been RVing, there's got to be some information out there. Now you have me curious.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:44 AM
Glow Plugs Only

Yes mine sits about 1 1/2" ahead of the centre of the rear axle, so a portion of the weight has to go forward. But I'm no physicist or P-Eng.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The increase in weight in each axle is proportional to the location of the center of the pin to the axles.

For example, on a 156" wheelbase (WB) if the center of the pin is 15.6" in front of the rear axle 90% of the weight will be on the rear and 10% on the front.

Assuming the pin offset (PO) is in front of the rear axle the base equation for rear is:

((WB - PO) / WB) * Pin Weight

The front axle would be:

Pin Weight - above answer

Not trying to be a KIA...lol. hope it helps.

Last edited by azc9a7; 04-20-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

Okay so if I'm understanding correctly (I've been known to be slow of the uptake):

Your formula would say:
156" (Wheel base) - 1.5" (Pin Offset) / 156" * 1800 (Pin Weight using dee004's #) = 1782.7 lbs sit on the rear axle, leaving 17.3 lbs to be carried by the front axle. Is that right?
Old 04-20-2012, 11:27 AM
Glow Plugs Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by azc9a7 View Post
The increase in weight in each axle is proportional to the location of the center of the pin to the axles.

For example, on a 156" wheelbase (WB) if the center of the pin is 15.6" in front of the rear axle 90% of the weight will be on the rear and 10% on the front.

Assuming the pin offset (PO) is in front of the rear axle the base equation for rear is:

((WB - PO) / WB) * Pin Weight

The front axle would be:

Pin Weight - above answer

Not trying to be a KIA...lol. hope it helps.
So from the formula above weight transfer to the front axle would be quite negligible almost nil.

I went to the following site and punched in the numbers requested into the boxes of their weight clculator for fifthwheel trailers. It works on a 25% safety factor so all of us with F250's GCVWR of around 23,000LBS towing fifthwheels shouldn't be towing anything over 7000 LBS. Check it out it's quite interesting. Not quite sure how accurate though.
Fifth Wheel Weight Calculator
Old 04-20-2012, 11:41 AM
Serving Our Country!

I always weigh twice if I want to know the pin weigh. Put truck and RV on the scales, while I am there I pick out something on the ground near the left front tire. I then drop
the RV and go back and reweigh just the truck making sure I get as close to where I was when I went though the first time. Subtract the first Rear Wheel weigh from the first one.
Doug
Old 04-20-2012, 11:51 AM
Glow Plugs Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by WD40 View Post
I always weigh twice if I want to know the pin weigh. Put truck and RV on the scales, while I am there I pick out something on the ground near the left front tire. I then drop
the RV and go back and reweigh just the truck making sure I get as close to where I was when I went though the first time. Subtract the first Rear Wheel weigh from the first one.
Doug
I can't do that because I'm trying to figure out what I can and can't tow because I'm in the process of shopping for a replacement 5er. And as you know the RV dealers are absolutely no help what so ever. All of a sudden they become totally evasive. Want your business but offer no help at all. I know each and every truck differs due to accessories loading etc, but there has to be an average ball park figure out there to work from.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

I've seen that calculator before. Like you, not sure on it's accuracy. Could be I don't fully understand it. If they are right, why do we buy these behemoths thinking they can pull a lot if they really can't?

Look at Ford's Towing Guide - I input 2005 for your truck dee004. Look under the Fifth wheel towing, 6.0L, SuperCab column. It's more than 7000lbs.
https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...05_default.asp
Old 04-20-2012, 11:59 AM
Glow Plugs Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCrutyPS View Post
I've seen that calculator before. Like you, not sure on it's accuracy. Could be I don't fully understand it. If they are right, why do we buy these behemoths thinking they can pull a lot if they really can't?

Look at Ford's Towing Guide - I input 2005 for your truck dee004. Look under the Fifth wheel towing, 6.0L, SuperCab column. It's more than 7000lbs.
https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...05_default.asp
Good site There looks to be quite a bit of information there. I will go through it and see what I can come up with. Gotta go out to a meeting and will get right on it when I get back in, Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.