Towing a 33 ft Travel Trailer - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Towing, Hauling & Diesel Competition Discussion of Powerstroke Usage EG. Towing & Hauling Habits, Off Roading , Diesel Drags, Sled Pulls, ect...

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 09:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Towing a 33 ft Travel Trailer

I have lots of experience towing various trailers, but never a travel trailer over 24 ft. We are considering buying one in the range of 33 ft from tongue to bumper.

I am interested in hearing from others just what to expect when towing such a long trailer with my 04 Shorty 6.0 TD. From a combined hauling and towing weight perspective the truck will not be overloaded. And I will be using an Equalizer Hitch.

But I am wondering how different the handling etc might be from towing the 24 footer. Will the larger trailer pull the truck around, etc?

Will appreciate any comments from others who have experience with this senario.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2012, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

I think you'd be good towing since you're using an Equalizer. Be sure to have a anti-sway set up with that, if it doesn't already.

My bumper pull experience is limited to a 24ft TT (now have a 12K 5er). I'm glad I had the sway thing. When I tow, I stay around 60mph. Sometimes (with the TT), when a big rig or bus would pass I could feel the 'tail wagging the dog'. First the back would blow sideways and then the front would blow sideways, each having an effect on the truck. Had to do some corrective steering to keep it between the lines. I would imagine a longer trailer will have a similar thing happen.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:15 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Here is a for you
Old 03-10-2012, 10:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

iv towed a 38Ft inclosed trailer...only thing i can say it it will put a major load on the rear end if not being a 5th wheel..but maybe it was just with mine since it was triple axel and inclosed.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:02 AM

I tow a 28ft TT several times a month from May until Oct. and agree with the above. Started with a 24ft TT and an F150 and stepped up to a lifted F250, and the only thing I run is a high quality drop hitch with sway control. I do not use equalizer/torsion bars because my truck doesn't squat that much as we don't really load up the trailer. Water is about the only thing in the trailer, generator and fuel tanks in the bed.

It moves it a little, but with Stealths Tow Tunes on my SCT I can normally run 70-75 no problem. But the above wind issues with Semi's is evident the faster I go. Normally I will only run that fast as I get ready to go up a hill and pass a semi or something and if not I run the speed limit and take my time.

You'd be fine, but something that long, I'd want sway and torsion bars both.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:16 PM

My old camper measured 31'2" tongue to bumper and our new camper we just purchased last year measures 36'8" tongue bumper. I've found that the longer camper tows much better than our old camper. I use a WD hitch but I don't have any sway control, but my truck is a dually. This camper is about 3500 lbs heavier and I can run 70 MPH down the highway all day long with no problems in my tow tune.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:16 PM

I use sway bar and weight distribution hitch. I only get the occasional side movement when passing the big rigs. It took me a few pulls to get the WD hitch to where it works the best..
Old 03-27-2012, 06:28 PM

Get the WD hitch to help it ride level, a little better. But the sway because it will sway.
I pulled one that "said" it was 31'. Seemed a touch longer. But had nothing but the ball hitch on it. I didn't need the WD but wish I had the sway.
It was for auction. Pulled it back to the shop, then back to auction. It was 31'-33', pretty tall, but light. Only about 7k or so empty, so it was like a big box. It started wagging me at one point.
But as far as length, big whoop. I've pulled some long trailers, and bumper pulls always have more length since they are on the bumper. But it was easy. Idk if I have a knack for it or not, but never had an issue turning or anything.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:29 PM

The longer the trailer, the more you have to watch your turns. The trailer will turn inside of your truck, the longer the trailer, the farther inside.

I had no problems with a 32' 8000# with a GMC. My ford is still new and I'm still adjusting the equalizer hitch, but expect it to be fine once I get the hitch adjusted right.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:33 PM
Still Alive

Send a message via Skype™ to westcoaststrokin
I tow a 35' TT with no sway control. I only use weight distro. I have driven through 50+ gusts off the beam with no issues. Then again I have training wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.