Towing 59 Caddy... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Towing, Hauling & Diesel Competition Discussion of Powerstroke Usage EG. Towing & Hauling Habits, Off Roading , Diesel Drags, Sled Pulls, ect...

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 01:27 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Towing 59 Caddy...

Guys,

I've got a question for anyone who has hauls cars before. I've got a 59 Caddy that measures in at 225 inches or 18.75 feet. It also weighs in at roughly 5K, and I've got another 300 lbs of spare parts. I've also got a 1970 cuda that's obviously not even close to the size of the caddy. I've never towed anything before and I need to start moving some stuff around, but I've got a 2010 F250 6.4 to get it around.

Will the Caddy fit in a 20' trailer? I know per the specs it will fit, but does that mean in the real world a 19' car will fit easily in a 20' trailer...ya know what I mean...

I'll probably use it 10 times a year, and the longest trip I need to do will be a round trip from CA to NJ, only once thank god....

Are there any recommendations for brands, features/options, anything at all for hauling cars? Would a gooseneck be better than the factory frame/bumper hitch?

I'm probably missing a couple other questions, anyways, thanks in advance!

Kevin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2012, 01:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

You'll be good with 20. Make sure you have good tires rated for the overall weight of your load, on truck and trailer. Make sure you're trailer brakes are good, for that size car and stuff you'd be just fine with a bumper pull, although i prefer goosenecks myself, it's up to you if you want to spend the money on one! Other than that you'll be good. MAKE SURE you strap that car down tight. Cross strap or chain is what I would recommend, do not exceed that working load weight of your tie downs, and use at least four on those cars, especially on those length of trips. Sport guard makes mud flaps that mount onto your receiver hitch, they're super nice for protecting your cars.

Have fun!!
Old 01-09-2012, 02:13 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Redneck View Post
You'll be good with 20. Make sure you have good tires rated for the overall weight of your load, on truck and trailer. Make sure you're trailer brakes are good, for that size car and stuff you'd be just fine with a bumper pull, although i prefer goosenecks myself, it's up to you if you want to spend the money on one! Other than that you'll be good. MAKE SURE you strap that car down tight. Cross strap or chain is what I would recommend, do not exceed that working load weight of your tie downs, and use at least four on those cars, especially on those length of trips. Sport guard makes mud flaps that mount onto your receiver hitch, they're super nice for protecting your cars.

Have fun!!

Thanks for the info!

I should have specified I was wanting to use an enclosed trailer. Not sure what brand, specs or features. I want to be able to store and protect the car when it stays put in places not called my garage.

My main concern is if 20' is enough for a 18.75' car. I don't want to buy and then find out I can fit the car in, then turn it for a loss and buy a 22 or 24' trailer...
Old 01-09-2012, 02:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Definitely go 24 if you are getting enclosed. If you go 20, it'll work but you will hate not having any space in it. Get yourself a sway bar set up on you trailer with a stabilizer hitch and air bags on your truck. That'll keep your truck stable on the highway with you're big trailer. A gooseneck is good too. All depends on how much money you wanna spend! Definitely get air bags though. You can get them for around 300 if you do manual fill valves.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:21 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
It depends upon the trailer toungue length. Most have a short toungue and that is not desirable. If your trailer has a longer toungue, it will fit, but may be over the capacity of the trailer. If it has a short toungue, you may be buying tail lights or tailgates along the way.

Shawn
Old 01-09-2012, 03:27 PM
Serving Our Country!

thanks for the inputs.

Definitely noted: 24', stabilizer and airbags for truck. Longer tongue length=Better

BTW, I'm still reading up on a bunch of posts and articles about the pros and cons of each type of hookup point. Been reading a bunch about balance and setting the weight correctly... I've realized there more to it than just hook it up and drive off! lol

Any brand loyalty out there? I've seen 24 footers brand new for around $5K. I'd rather buy a better build used, than brand new though. I'd say if I can be done with everything I need for under $8K, I'd be ok with that, but closer to $5K is what I'm looking to spend.

I've got the tools and know how to install either 5th wheel or goose neck. I'm leaning towards B&W flip ball if I go gooseneck. The truck came with a capable hitch from the factory, so I think I may just use that in the end?
Old 02-05-2012, 06:55 PM
the baconator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
you may need to think about getting in and out of the car while in the trailer. the ones with the extra door on the drivers side make this much easier. Look at the tires like some one else said. make sure they are at least 15in. and 5K is probably on the lower side for a good 24ft enclosed trailer at least around here

oh and how about some pics
Old 02-06-2012, 05:11 AM
Serving Our Country!

The Caddy doesn't belong to me but I've had it in my garage for 3 years now and I'm sick of it taking up my entire garage. I've also got a 70 Barracuda that will eventually need to be moved to a from a few shops, and I'd rather have the peace of mind knowing I can lock it up and nobody should mess with it in an enclosed. I'm certain the Barracuda would fit in a 20' enclosed, but the caddy would be too tight I think.

I do like the side door options I have seen on many. Either side door, or the front that swings open that I see as an option now, will do the trick I think.

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Towing 59 Caddy...-dpp_5x70012.jpg   Towing 59 Caddy...-dpp_5x70013.jpg   Towing 59 Caddy...-img_2264.jpg   Towing 59 Caddy...-img_2265.jpg   Towing 59 Caddy...-img_2261.jpg  

Old 02-06-2012, 05:44 AM
the baconator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
good looking cars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.