Towing accident...... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Towing, Hauling & Diesel Competition Discussion of Powerstroke Usage EG. Towing & Hauling Habits, Off Roading , Diesel Drags, Sled Pulls, ect...

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2012, 08:03 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy Towing accident......

First of I'm open to any comments and recommendations done in a constructive way, I'm posting this to learn more and avoid this from happening again.

Tow vehicle: 2001 F250 turbo diesel 6spd
Trailer: Dove tail 7,000 GVW, electric brakes and dual axles
Load: 1995 F350 auto

My friend ask me if I could pick this truck for him, he needs a towing vehicle and this one was a good buy since the tranny is gone, so my GF and him went to pick it up yesterday.

The night before I brought all tires to proper air pressure, fixed my trailer light/brakes plug, checked all lights, even bought the missing wheel lug nut for my truck (missing since I bought the truck). I knew the 350 was not an easy tow so I wanted to make sure everything was in line.

That morning I towed my race car to the shop, pick him up and off we went to pick up his new 350; little did we know everything was going to turn dark in 10 seconds. After fighting to get the 350 started for hrs, to at least have power brakes when loading it on the trailer, when we started to load the truck on to the trailer (parked in a odd angle) the trailer started to pick up the rear axle of my 250, slowly we got it on the trailer

I usually use 4 straps on my racecar or any other light BMW I tow, this time I used 8 straps; 3 in the front - 3 in the back - and 2 thru the frame from side to side, 2 in the front&rear with J hooks straight to the frame.

Coming out the subdivision there was a lot of hills and tight turns, about 10 miles of city driving all felt good, well nothing but feeling that my steering wheel was lighter that usual. We stopped for lunch and everything look like gold.

After lunch drove another 4 miles and jumped on the freeway, the plan, drive 50 to 55mph on the left lane all the way to the chop (1hr drive at 65mph). after 1 exit, the trailer started to sway a little, I look at them and say do you guys feel that, they say yes and at that moment I was fixing to pass an underpass with an accident on the right shoulder (2 car and 1 SUV), the SUV was almost parked over the white right line, so I started to move left within my lane bc the freewar was busy (no room to change lanes). And in between me asking them that, a semi passing me on my left, and passing the cars on the right shoulder I dropped the speed from 55 to 52mph, as I pass them I rev match downshift to 4th, then *** I pass the SUV the trailer multiplies the sway by 10, then the underpass just 30ft pass the SUV got the trailer to go side ways, the sway was big time, when it would go from left to right it would do it with such a violence that the my rear axle will move sideways, at this point I would counter steer to compensate for the axle sliding.

It was bad guys, one second the trailer would be in my left mirror completely lateral, and then the next second the same way in my right mirror; just like in this video:

So my GF how is a test driver, and holds a CDL license yell "Gas" "Gas", my friend yell "brake" "brake" I yell back I'm WOT it's not helping, when I felt that the trailer was going to end up rotating us over 40 degrees, I rev match downshifted to 3rd and gave it all it had, just WOT compensating with a lot of counter steering got the trailer to settle 50%, at that point every time I felt it reach the limit of moving left I would tap the brakes hard, and then when the trailer will swing the other way, and reached the limit will tap the brakes hard one more time; did that about 4 time 2 in each direction... Than finally got the trailer straight and was able to coast to the shoulder.

THANK GOD NO ONE WAS HURT

People just pulled over to ask us if we needed an ambulance, if we were okay.... I was shaking from head to toes, let me tell you that I've been held a gun point, I teach people how to drive on track, teach teenager car control, rolled over a car 5.5 times, but never gotten so scare.

I think the most scary part was that I've never encounter trailer sway like this, I was ignorant of what exactly I should do, what was going on in that moment, what cause it, and the worse, did I hurt anybody?

here is a pick of the aftermath:

My conclusion of what got me into this, and please feel free to add or correct me:

1. the steering drag link has a bad ball joint, it has about 1/2" of play
2. the combination of the little sway + semi + parked cars + coming out the underpass got the sway to get worse.
3. to heavy of a load for that type of trailer, a gooseneck should been fine.
4. should've move the truck further forward to add more tongue weight.

So, the tires are scrap now after drifting the trailer for about 1/2mile...The trailer needs metal fabrication type of repairs.... I need new straps and J hooks.... What else should I replace after an accident like this???

Rafa,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2012, 08:18 PM
Premium Member

That is absolutely insane. I'm glad you are okay and that it didn't turn over on you. You had an angel on your shoulders for sure.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

you're right on all points. I'm glad you're alright!

don't pull a friggin' crew cab drw diesel on a little bumper pull car trailer! LOL
Old 01-08-2012, 08:21 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ's325ITS View Post

4. should've move the truck further forward to add more tongue weight.
THIS.

Probably the only problem.

Well that and the load was way heavier then your trailer could handle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ's325ITS View Post

What else should I replace after an accident like this???

Rafa,

Your underoos?

I've pulled 13,000 lbs on a bumper several times with the truck in my sig and an excursion

Last edited by Dan Lee; 01-08-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

need to cross the strap / chains

that is to take the left side of the 350 to the right side of the trailer

this helps in keeping the 350 centered on the trailer and moving side to side

putting / appling a littel braking on the trailer using the trailer controler only should pull it out of something like this, works for me
Old 01-08-2012, 08:37 PM
'Merica

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I've had 10k+ using a 26ft dovetail equipment trailer (2x 7k axles), off the bumper multiple times.

I would definitely say that there wasn't enough tongue weight, and that the trailer was too small for the intended use.

With that being said, im VERY happy that no one was injured, and that both rigs look to be in good shape. Short of needing a new pair of underroos, I think you'll be fine.

When sway starts to occur, I.M.E. its always been when decelerating/unloading the back of the truck, allowing the trailer to create its own pivot point instead of being "controlled" by the truck. Another thing i would wonder is if you didn't have enough trailer brake dialed in for the load.

Trailerbrakes are cheap. I always tend to set my TBC with a heavy "lead" before my truck brakes actually start to apply. Especially if the load is heavier than my truck.

Good luck, Again, Glad no one was hurt.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:41 PM
spool up that turbo!!

You over loaded the trailer which everyone does it from time to time it would have worked the towed vehicle should have been farther forward and like said about you could have done four tie downs cross chained front and rear
Old 01-08-2012, 09:34 PM

Thank you guys for kind words, and advice.

There are a few points here that cough my attention:

1. tongue weight, how would one determine the correct amount? how would I measure it? I've been always scare of overloading the hitch and braking something there!

2. Tow straps: I usually do it in a cross pattern like in the pic, but one time an engineer told me that the shorter the straps the less they will stretch, he also mention that the testing on the straps is done in an straight angle or 0 degrees, once you cross them they are pivoting at the trailer's attachment point, they are "swinging".....

With that being said, local tow companies do it cross, their explanation is my same reason why I do it, that was mentioned here before, it keeps the load centered.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:42 PM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Thank God nobody was hurt. I definitely know what you were feeling.

Had a similar thing happen a few years ago. Working in Shasta, coming down the mountain, I had a sealcoat machine on my flatbed behind my F550 dumptruck. Doing about 60, one second everything is fine, the next I hear the tire on the rear axle blow out, look in the mirror and the trailer is damn near sideways. I knew it was going to go completely sideways and flip and take me with it. I was able to give her some speed and pull it straight. Kinda hard changing a flat tire when it's pitch black, traffic is whizzing behind my back just a few feet away and my hands are shaking so bad I can barely hold the lug wrench.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator

Glad you all are okay and it didn't go all around on ya. Certainly glad you didn't collect anyone else in the process.

Did you consider manually applying the trailer brakes while using the truck moving forward? It may have helped bring the trailer back in line behind the truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.