Dependable Auto Shippers (DAS) BEWARE!!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Towing, Hauling & Diesel Competition Discussion of Powerstroke Usage EG. Towing & Hauling Habits, Off Roading , Diesel Drags, Sled Pulls, ect...

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2011, 07:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dependable Auto Shippers (DAS) BEWARE!!!!

I hope this is the appropriate place to put this, if not a mod can move it to where ever it needs to be.

I'm expressing my experience that i had with DAS trying to transport my truck from Northern Cali to Florida. Horrible customer service, did a "Bait and Switch" on the price to me, never was able to even ship the truck after 3 1/2 weeks of waiting, and the employees who worked at the drop off depot did not know how to properly operate diesel motors.

First quoted a price of 1150$ open transport, Knowing that the truck was lifted and had aftermarket wheels and tires. No where on the website or on the phone was told there was a Width restriction. Which obviously makes sense, if its too wide it wont fit on the trailer. I bought plane tickets to Cali to pickup the truck and drop it off the their nearest location. Arrive at the place, find out its too tall. Limit was 7 feet 1 inch, my truck is 7 feet 4 inch's. They measured the height of my truck on a rocky asphalt that can fluctuate the height of the truck by 2-3 inch's. They tell me a new price of 1640$ would be assessed because they have to load it on a different trailer or something like that. It wasn't that big of a deal to me at this point and i had a plane to catch. Then the depot supervisor comes out to assess the truck and to find out whats going on. He tells me its too wide now. Their trailers only support trucks that are narrower than 90 inch's. My truck is 91 inch's wide. So now they are standing around scratching their heads trying to figure out what to do.

Called the representative from DAS that i dealt with and told me the truck has to go on a "Custom" trailer. He basically said i was screwed and for me to take off the wheels and have the rims shipped back. I have a damn plane to catch, im in the middle of no where, and don't know anyone who can help. That wasn't going to happen. He calls a different company to ship the truck with a new price quote of 1979$! Now the price has jumped over 800$ than what i originally budgeted for. The guy from DAS had no sympathy for me considering i flew 3000 miles to have them be the lucky ones out of several other companies to ship my truck. With no choice i agreed on the price. Then i get told the truck has to sit on the lot for 5 days before the other company can pick it up and i have to pay a 15$/day storage fee. Its like they are making up numbers out of no where. Now im pretty upset and mad at the fact i feel like im being ripped off and treated unfairly.

So i pay a deposit of 448$ on my card and will do COD when it arrives for the remaining balance. As im leaving, one of the employees is about to move my truck and immediately starts the truck without letting the injectors cycle. I yelled at the guy and gave him a quick lesson on how to start diesel motors. I mean come on, you work for a shipping company and you don't know how to properly start certain vehicles. I told him that i would hold them responsible for any fuel/injector problems when i receive the truck. Make it to my plane on time and im on my way.

5 Days after i dropped off my truck, i do a follow up on whether or not it got picked up. They promptly tell me the truck they sent out wasn't wide enough and they have to send another truck. Strike 1. They knew how wide it was and what they were up against. They said it would take another 4 days for another truck to come pick it up. So i patiently wait another four days to call them again. I said, when is my truck suppose to arrive. Was told 5 days from the day i called. Perfect. Wait 3 days to call again to see where my truck is so i can arrange to be home from work to receive it. Called the DAS representative and didn't pick up so i left a message. Then called the Cali Depot to speak to a representative there. Asked them if my truck got picked up. They said no, the other truck wasn't wide enough either and they left the truck. Now im pissed. Strike 2. Its been 12 days and it still hasn't shipped. Called the rep from DAS complaining and pretty much furious as to why they can't get their crap together and find the right truck. He said he will get right on it. 4 Days go by, call them again. Sent ANOTHER truck and it still didn't fit. The driver this time was going to make it fit by deflating the tires and dragging it up through the rails scratching the **** out of my rims. The Depot supervisor told the guy no and declined the shipment(thank god). STRIKE 3. Called the DAS rep, he told me there was nothing he could do for me and that i can find a different company to come pick the truck up. Hung up, called N Motion transport, very nice people so far, had a price quote 500$ cheaper and had a trailer that transports dually f250s.
Their sending a trailer this week to come get it, been over 3 weeks now and still no truck. Ive been renting cars and getting rides to work....

DAS rep said he will refund my deposit and said thank you have a nice day. Will be reporting them to BBB and expressing my experience over the web to give people a heads up about companies like this. If they don't refund my deposit, ill hire an attorney and take legal action. Ive never had this bad of problems before with a company.

If you guys have nice trucks that need to be shipped, don't use DAS! If they are this stupid and irresponsible, i definitely don't want them touching mine or anyone else vehicles. I had to call them every time, never got calls back, never got any information about what was going on, price was very unfair, and don't know how to properly run a business. Lets hope this new company can finally get my truck home to me. I can't be without a vehicle much longer.

Rant over
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2011, 06:41 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Man, that sounds like they ran you through the wringer... Keep us posted on how the new company treats you and what condition your truck is in when it arrives.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator

Wow - for all that time wasted, you could have driven the truck back yourself. Geez.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:23 AM

I saw them researching shipping a truck. Can't imagine they could have dealt with a CC LB DRW. I find it strange that they have open trailers that are only 90" wide, and they can't have a 1/2" overhang on each side... I believe they are eBay's preferred shipper.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:05 PM

The new Company called N-Motion Transport sent out two trucks within two days and still were unable to pick it up. I'm almost out of options except to fly and drive back. Id eat through my brand new tires though and possibly be screwed if i got a flat on the way back home. Thats what i was worried about, being stranded.

I need a private individual with a goose neck that is willing to drive it back with his truck, and to screw all these brokers and shipping companies.

Its a 92' wheel base (i was off by 1inch). 20x14 fuel hostage wheels is causing all these problems. I have the mileage checked and know exactly where the fuel gauge was at before i left, so if someone was going for joy rides id know. There has to be someone who can do this job. It would cost at 4.25 a gallon of fuel to drive 3000 miles around 800$. The other 800$ would be how much someone would make in 3 days. Id even offer more to anyone who can get it done and get me my truck.

I'm giving N motion till Friday to find me a trailer before i have to move to my next option
Old 09-21-2011, 12:14 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Yikes, what an ordeal! If it were me I would sell the rims and tires and find stockers so it would fit on the trailer. Selling those rims and tires would make up for the cost of shipping and it would actually get to you in due time. Then go back to the drawing board for new rims and tires. Just my .02..I know it's not the best suggestion, but time is money and that truck being on the lot is costing you more money than you budgeted for!
Old 09-21-2011, 12:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
man that sucks... prob would just be cheaper to find some spare oem wheels from someone to put on and put the nice wheels in the bed
Old 09-21-2011, 12:21 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03two50 View Post
There has to be someone who can do this job. It would cost at 4.25 a gallon of fuel to drive 3000 miles around 800$. The other 800$ would be how much someone would make in 3 days. Id even offer more to anyone who can get it done and get me my truck.
And not to be rude, but that means someone would be doing it for free, unless they found someone in Cali who bought a car from Florida who needed a private tow back to them. It's going to be hard to have a win-win situation here. Not trying to be mean, but also not gonna sugar coat it.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcflan View Post
And not to be rude, but that means someone would be doing it for free, unless they found someone in Cali who bought a car from Florida who needed a private tow back to them. It's going to be hard to have a win-win situation here. Not trying to be mean, but also not gonna sugar coat it.
No not at all, i understand. It was probably targeted towards someone who has a long gooseneck that is already west and needs to come east. It would be good for someone who is looking for work, considering there's not much out there right now and has the ability to haul it.

As far as taking off the rims, im the anal freak that doesn't like other people touching my vehicles. I clean them, maintain and fix what is broken myself. I would have to hire someone to drive there, take off the rims and put the new ones on. And have someone who is located in cali who has rims/tires for sale. Drop them off at the place and not be worried about the employees stealing them or mishandling. Too much hassle, id rather find someone to ship it how it is. Plus i have the wheel lock here in Florida with me, ugh..

As of right now, i have two separate shipping companies trying to find me a truck. Who ever gets the truck there first or can even get one at all will get the business.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
when i sold my truck to someone in new mexico he had a local shipping company pick it up in a big trailer.. my truck was prob almost as wide as yours and he didnt seem to have a problem with it...

wish i would have kept the number of who it was....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.