Towing doubles - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Towing, Hauling & Diesel Competition Discussion of Powerstroke Usage EG. Towing & Hauling Habits, Off Roading , Diesel Drags, Sled Pulls, ect...

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2011, 03:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Towing doubles

Who's done it?

To make a long story short, wife wants to ditch the tent for a camper because we have a young-un now. Trying to come up with something nice that doesn't break the bank. My hobby is rock crawling and I tow my bronco all over the state and beyond for this hobby. When we camp, we also like to take my bronco as a means to explore the back country without fear of ruining my truck.

So my original plan was to replace my car hauler with something that has at least 10k gvrw and longer to accommodate a small pop-up on the front. Still has to be bumper pull as I have a topper too. example...

However, it might be nice to just pull the pop-up behind my car hauler (still need a more HD one) because that would allow me to pull only the pop-up or only the trailer or both. Or even pull the pop-up into a more remote spot with my bronco if my truck can't do it. My bronco and trailer weighs in around 7k.

I have just never, ever pulled doubles. I know that you cannot back them up, but I think I can handle that. Just have to plan to unhitch the pop-up, then the car hauler. Get the pop-up situated, then the car hauler.

Option Z1.34.3 is to get a trailer long enough to haul my bronco hitched to the pop-up and tie them all down as necessary, but then that means I have a 22ft+/- trailer that I only use 14ft of most of the time and have the added hassle of maneuvering that longer trailer.

Anyway, seeking advice on pulling doubles in this manner. Thanks!

J.D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2011, 03:33 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I've seen toyhaulers built like the picture you posted.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes, but they are spendy!

Which brings up another point. My bronco wreaks of gas, oil, etc smell, so I can't use an enclosed trailer either.

Also, I don't want the hassle of a slide-in camper either. Plus I don't want to worry about storage for such an animal.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:52 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus_man View Post
Yes, but they are spendy!

Which brings up another point. My bronco wreaks of gas, oil, etc smell, so I can't use an enclosed trailer either.

Also, I don't want the hassle of a slide-in camper either. Plus I don't want to worry about storage for such an animal.
Hey man, nobody said fun was cheap
Old 06-16-2011, 05:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
Hey man, nobody said fun was cheap
True dat!! If it were up to me, we'd still be camping in a tent like we always have and not have to change a thing.

J.D.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to mustangman02232 Send a message via Yahoo to mustangman02232
I used to be able to bump the dock with a set of doubles, took me a few pull ups but usually could get it, i believe you need a 5th/goosneck as the front trailer to pull doubles and the first trailer must be heavier then the second, you might want to look and see if you need a doubles endorsement in your state. why not just hitch the trailer to the bronco and drive them both on the trailer?
Old 06-17-2011, 07:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman02232 View Post
why not just hitch the trailer to the bronco and drive them both on the trailer?
Thanks for the advice. Pulling them both on a trailer is an option, I just don't want to get a longer trailer than necessary as some of the places I need to get are pretty tight. however, that would make it a bit more simple.

I'll see what I need for pulling doubles.

J.D.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Check the state laws......It is illegal in Ca.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Pretty sure it's legal here, but would have to verify. Hoping to talk to someone who's actually done it.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:58 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiekeeper View Post
Check the state laws......It is illegal in Ca.
Not true. If you have a Class A either commercial or non-commercial you can tow doubles with a pickup as long as the GVWR isn't less than 6,000 lbs. But you will need the doubles endorsement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.