Can I haul a 15,000lb boat? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Towing, Hauling & Diesel Competition Discussion of Powerstroke Usage EG. Towing & Hauling Habits, Off Roading , Diesel Drags, Sled Pulls, ect...

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2011, 04:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Can I haul a 15,000lb boat?

I am considering hauling a 43', 15,000lb boat on a triple axle bumper pull trailer. I haven't hauled this much weight before and wanted to get some opinions. My truck is a 96 F350 CC, 4x4, Long box non dually ( 7.3 of course ). Its got 257,000 miles on it with the original transmission. Most of the truck is stock and original. What do you all think? Oh yea, I will also have about 2000 lbs of veg oil in the truck bed. The haul is 2100 miles, from Michigan to Arizona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2011, 04:55 AM

It could most likely do it (the pull) But would it stop in an emergency? Also, you are crossing state lines, other states have different attitudes about over weight pulling............
Old 06-16-2011, 05:00 AM
Dont Mess With Texas!

will the truck pull it? YES
will the truck stop it? NOT QUICK ENOUGH
will you more than likely get a ticket? NO, if you have current tags on the boat most troopers are not gunna pull you over for a large boat, unless you have to go through a weigh station
Old 06-16-2011, 05:00 AM
Dont Mess With Texas!

will the truck pull it? YES
will the truck stop it? NOT QUICK ENOUGH
will you more than likely get a ticket? NO, if you have current tags on the boat most troopers are not gunna pull you over for a large boat, unless you have to go through a weigh station
Old 06-16-2011, 05:19 AM

Wouldn't the trailer brakes aid in the stopping? I tow boats and RVs a couple of times a month for hire. I have MC and Dot numbers so am technically supposed to go through all the open weight stations. Why would a weight station be a problem?
Old 06-16-2011, 05:21 AM
The Silent Service

Right off the bat, you're gonna be way over GCWR. (Not just a bit)
With the 7.3L OBS and the auto with that kinda mileage, its going to be pushing things. I'm assuming the 15K doesn't include the weight of the boat. For sake of argument 7.5K truck, 3K in Veg Oil passangers and luggage, 15k boat, and another 3K trailer. 28.5K??? Its a stretch for a stock 7.3L with that kinda mileage and the auto trans.

Stopping it will be next to impossible. I would not for the life of me make the trip over the Rockies with that load and that truck. You're in for a nightmare on the mountain passes. You have to be ready for the truck to make that trailer stop if the brakes fail, which that old OBS won't be able to do on a grade.

If something happens along the way, you'll be facing serious court litigation. I can't say as to a state requireing you to pull over at any time with that load, but depending on how much you sag its gonna be a flag to some troopers out there.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:27 AM
Dont Mess With Texas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidschaffer View Post
Wouldn't the trailer brakes aid in the stopping? I tow boats and RVs a couple of times a month for hire. I have MC and Dot numbers so am technically supposed to go through all the open weight stations. Why would a weight station be a problem?
whether you have DOT numbers or not your truck and that trailer would not be rated together to carry that kind of weight LEGALLY
Old 06-16-2011, 05:39 AM
The Silent Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdCoastStroker View Post
whether you have DOT numbers or not your truck and that trailer would not be rated together to carry that kind of weight LEGALLY
That's correct, if the OP gets flagged down for a weight check, he might as well disconnect the trailer when he stops, because he won't be able to get back on the road. And there will be additional fines and charges on top of that, depending on the state it happens in.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:41 AM

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. I will defiantly pass this one up. Typically the most I pull is around 8000lbs. I haven't had any problems at all and when I add a weight distribution hitch 8K feels like nothing, even fully loaded with oil. That being said, 8k is a heck of a lot less weight the 15k.

Thanks again
Old 06-16-2011, 05:43 AM
Dont Mess With Texas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by colo_dually View Post
That's correct, if the OP gets flagged down for a weight check, he might as well disconnect the trailer when he stops, because he won't be able to get back on the road. And there will be additional fines and charges on top of that, depending on the state it happens in.
yup, i was hauling a load of electrical pipe to Eagle Pass TX down on the border from Corpus Christi TX, no DOT stickers on my truck, when i passed the weigh station a trooper came and chased me down and turned me back to the weigh station, when they weighed me i was 6k over weight, they said to unhook the trailer or get someone up there to split the load, i had one of our other truck drive out 2 hours and we had to move pipe from my truck to his by hand !! until i got below the legal weight then i could go on my way, also 2000 dollar fine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.