How much can a F-250 Pull? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Towing, Hauling & Diesel Competition Discussion of Powerstroke Usage EG. Towing & Hauling Habits, Off Roading , Diesel Drags, Sled Pulls, ect...

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2011, 04:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How much can a F-250 Pull?

i'm looking at buying a used 250 or 350 crew cab with the 6.0L diesel. i've got a boat trailer combo that weighs around 10,000lbs loaded, will a 250 pull it or should i go to the 350?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2011, 05:22 PM
The Silent Service

Looking at the 6.0L F250 and a 10k load. You are within Ford Specs for driving an F250. F250's are rated to tow 12,500 conventional, when properly equipped. Both the F250 and F350 have the same formal tow ratings, the difference comes in as the F350 can hold more tongue weight.

I'm assuming either truck would be a SRW, and in my opinion go with the F350.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Both will pull the same assuming equal axle gearing.

If you have your eye on a 250 you can do what im doing and just add the firestone air bags to help the 250's considerably softer rear springs.

My 250 seems like a half ton truck compared to a co-workers 350 both SRW trucks but his truck doesnt squat really at all with the same weight that squished my truck...Mine rides better though

Jason
Old 04-17-2011, 09:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks for the help guys!
Old 04-17-2011, 09:42 AM
PMR = JUNK

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
250s do not have softer springs, they just use a smaller block, 2 or 2.5 inch as opposed to the 350 which uses a 4". The main leaf pack has the same number of leaves.

As for towing 10k with a 250, it will pull it like a dream. Hell just a month ago i grossed 22,660 lbs all the way from international falls MN to northwest Ohio. Nearly 1000 miles.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:04 AM

Would my truck not having overload springs on the rear effect my ride and load carrying capacity? Maybe its just the difference in tires between the two trucks...? I am on stock GY and he has the stock size Dunlop rover Maxxtraction or w/e hugely long name they are.

Jason

Last edited by JasonY; 04-17-2011 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:08 PM

what is the legal max load you can tow with a f250 7.3 and 5th wheel hitch??????
Old 04-17-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
250s do not have softer springs, they just use a smaller block, 2 or 2.5 inch as opposed to the 350 which uses a 4". The main leaf pack has the same number of leaves.

As for towing 10k with a 250, it will pull it like a dream. Hell just a month ago i grossed 22,660 lbs all the way from international falls MN to northwest Ohio. Nearly 1000 miles.
So about 14-15k Jake?

And I'm prett sure Jake aint got overloads...
Old 04-17-2011, 12:47 PM
The Silent Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by studdgage View Post
what is the legal max load you can tow with a f250 7.3 and 5th wheel hitch??????
A little off the OP, but I'll answer that for ya.
That F250 should have a GCWR of 20k, and its rated by Ford to pull 13.7k max. (the 2WD, Reg cab)
Here's the second part to that equation, you need to look at your RAWR and look at the tongue weight of the trailer your pulling. Legally, you need to make sure you don't violate your axle rating in the rear.

Can these trucks pull more, you bet they can, however look over the laws and regulations. If something happens and you're proven to be overweight, you can be held liable in the courts, and insurance can deny your claims.

Last edited by colo_dually; 04-17-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colo_dually View Post
A little off the OP, but I'll answer that for ya.
That F250 should have a GCWR of 20k, and its rated by Ford to pull 13.7k max. (the 2WD, Reg cab)
Here's the second part to that equation, you need to look at your RAWR and look at the tongue weight of the trailer your pulling. Legally, you need to make sure you don't violate your axle rating in the rear.

Can these trucks pull more, you bet they can, however look over the laws and regulations. If something happens and you're proven to be overweight, you can be held liable in the courts, and insurance can deny your claims.
Does that change with the 4x4 ext cab trucks?? I am buying a camper before to long i want to get as big as i can but not go over the max limit. Also may pull it with a 2000 7.3 4 crew cab 6 speed man 2 wheel drive srw. THX!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.