Degree of variance in EOT and ECT while towing 12,000+ Lbs. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Towing, Hauling & Diesel Competition Discussion of Powerstroke Usage EG. Towing & Hauling Habits, Off Roading , Diesel Drags, Sled Pulls, ect...

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2010, 11:50 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Degree of variance in EOT and ECT while towing 12,000+ Lbs.

I recently sold my Chev 2500HD and purchased a used 2007 F-350 dually with a 4.10 rear to pull a 12,500 lb. 5th wheel. My question is concerning the engine oil temp. (EOT) and the engine coolant temp.(ECT). Around town my temps are within 6 degrees and 8 10 degrees on the highway. While these temps are within the normal range, it seems that my temps when pulling will be greater than the 15 degree norm. Because I will not be hooking the 5th wheel until the weather breaks in the spring Id like to here from you what to expect as far as vehicle temps while towing and the degree of variance in the ECT & EOT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2010, 07:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Why does this really matter? The modern F series trucks have not had a cooling issue
for the engine or oil.

Keep an eye that they all stay in the normal range, they will if everything is
working properly.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilstan View Post
I recently sold my Chev 2500HD and purchased a used 2007 F-350 dually with a 4.10 rear to pull a 12,500 lb. 5th wheel. My question is concerning the engine oil temp. (EOT) and the engine coolant temp.(ECT). Around town my temps are within 6 degrees and 8 10 degrees on the highway. While these temps are within the normal range, it seems that my temps when pulling will be greater than the 15 degree norm. Because I will not be hooking the 5th wheel until the weather breaks in the spring Id like to here from you what to expect as far as vehicle temps while towing and the degree of variance in the ECT & EOT.

Based on my experience, I think you can expect a difference of 15 - 20 degrees or more during heavy pulling at peak demand (pulling a hill, etc) but should come down lots when you ease off. I had this variance many times with no issues. My
Old 12-13-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilstan View Post
I pull a 14k 5er and going down the freeway 55-60 my run ECT 192* and EOT 196* solo i run Coolent 190* oil 194* The highest that i have seen is ECT 218* and EOT 228* coming home from Bend,Ore 95* outside on a 6 mile pull on a 6% to 7% grade. It is a must to do a coolent flush to get the Ford Gold cxxp coolent out and install a ELC coolent or you will have oil and EGR coolers that will fail because when the temps get high the silicate drop out and turn into a slim and plug up the coolers your 6.0 will like it. Coolent Flush
ELC is the coolant recommended and used by International for this engine. .

Coolant Flush for changing to ELC

Drain coolant by removing lower radiator hose. Drain block from plug on drivers side of the block. Remove the thermostat. Replace plug in block and put lower hose back on. Put thermostat housing back on without thermostat. Fill with distilled water. run for 5 minutes then drain as above..Fill and run 5 more minutes drain. Put in 1 gallon of Restore an top with distilled water. Drive it for an 60-90 minutes then drain. Flush 2 times with distilled water or whatever it takes to come clear. Put 2 qts of VC-9 or 1 gallon of Restore+ cost less and fill with distilled water. Drive it for about 60-90 minutes. Drain and flush after. Flush 3 more times with distilled water untill it come out clean. Replace thermostat or put in a new one. Put hose back, make sure block plug is tight. Add 3.5 gallons of ELC concentrate and top off with distilled water. Make sure to run engine for 5 minutes between flushes to circulate the water good. Have heater on set to hi while doing this to flush the heater core too.
2 stroker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.