For those who know, Can I pull this? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Towing, Hauling & Diesel Competition Discussion of Powerstroke Usage EG. Towing & Hauling Habits, Off Roading , Diesel Drags, Sled Pulls, ect...

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2010, 07:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
For those who know, Can I pull this?

HI.
I bought me a Ford F-550 6.0L Diesel 4x4 with 30k original miles (shown below). All stock except I have the EGR unhooked. 6 speed manual DSL O/D-HD Trans. Trailer towing package. Rear Stabilizer Bar. 4-wheel anti-lock disc breaks. 4.88 ration Limited Slip Axle. The truck has a steel 15ft box dump bed. Truck full of fuel weighs 12500 lbs & displays 17500# GVWR on the door sticker.

I have a Kubota M7040HD-1 with loader & loaded tires which I think will go 8k lbs

I have my eye on a 20x8' 7-ton equipment trailer which the owner says weighs 5k lbs dry.

I tagged the truck for 26k but that really doesn't matter...

My questions is will the truck pull the combination OK? I do have mountains to go over such as Linville & Roan Mountain.

The most I have weight it at loaded so far was 16,900 lbs but it pulled fine. I could feel the weight "4,660lbs" going over the mountain.

Is there any simple & quick mods I could do, or will it pull this load as is OK?

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Mini

Last edited by Big Tone; 12-15-2010 at 11:30 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2010, 07:40 PM
riddin' high

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Dasaliac03 Send a message via Skype™ to Dasaliac03
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini View Post
HI.
I bought me a Ford F-550 6.0L Diesel 4x4 with 30k original miles (shown below). All stock except I have the EGR unhooked. 6 speed manyal DSL O/D-HD Trans. Trailer towing package. Rear Stabilizer Bar. 4-wheel anti-lock disc breaks. 4.88 ration Limited Slip AxesThe truck has a steel 15ft box dump bed. Truck full of gas weighs 12500 lbs & displays 17500# GVWR on the door sticker.
i hope you dont put gas in it LOL

it should pull it no problem
Old 09-14-2010, 07:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasaliac03 View Post
i hope you dont put gas in it LOL

it should pull it no problem
LOL so funny... I will try to go back and edit that to say fuel. Thanks. I may make the trailer purchase. I'm hoping so. I haven't owned a diesel or a big truck like this before. Found this trailer for $3500. I feel i really have to jump on it.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to mustangman02232 Send a message via Yahoo to mustangman02232
17k truck + 14k trailer = 31k total, you need a CDL, but ive pulled our mini ex thats ~11k and i had no problems with it and i have a SRW and 3.73s
Old 10-30-2010, 01:57 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
eh you'll be fine.. im probably gonna be pullin a dump trailer soon thats like 10k unloaded..haha.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:49 PM

You won't have any trouble. Now if you add a full load of rock you'll really be haullin'
Old 11-05-2010, 07:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman02232 View Post
17k truck + 14k trailer = 31k total, you need a CDL, but ive pulled our mini ex thats ~11k and i had no problems with it and i have a SRW and 3.73s
Definitely make sure you got your CDL-A. With that truck/trailer combo, DOT will be looking for sure. Probably a hefty fine if you're not legal.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:13 PM

With our 04 450 I've with a 10 ft dump bed been 19,200 gvw with 4 tons of class 5 and i felt comfortable driving, I also haul 2 skid leaders on a 25 ft 12 ton deckover and with the bed empty it handles it fine, just going to be slow in the mountains and make sure u have good trailer brakes and good controller
Old 12-14-2010, 08:39 AM

am i the only one that has a slight thinking that he might have head gasket problems with this? and first mod i would do is a simple intake and exhaust to help it breath. but please always check under the hood and make sure after every pull that you arent leaking coolant out of the degas bottle. if i were you i would be worried about the head gaskets unless it has studs
Old 12-14-2010, 08:51 AM

He wont have any issues, if he has any headgasket problems it wont be because of the load he is pulling. I regularly pulled loads of 12 cattle that typically avg. 1300 lbs with my 6.0 and 3.73 gears with no problems, and mine has over 100k of hard working miles on it.
As the the original poster, with the six speed and those gears you will have plenty of power for that load. Its the brakes in those "mountains" that would worry me more than anything
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.