Which truck to buy? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Towing, Hauling & Diesel Competition Discussion of Powerstroke Usage EG. Towing & Hauling Habits, Off Roading , Diesel Drags, Sled Pulls, ect...

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2010, 01:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Which truck to buy?

Hey guys, don't flame me too bad for my first post. I have a 26' Fleetwood Gearbox Toyhauler, bumper pull, which I use for bbq competitions. Loaded weight is around 9500 give or take, with a tongue weight around 1200-1300, using a Class 5 hitch and equalizer. I'm currently pulling it with a 97 F250 HD with the 460 gas motor. Just not cutting it, it's pretty much to the floor just to keep it at 60-65, and the gas gauge is moving pretty fast towards E. So it's time for a diesel, but I'm not sure what I need to be looking for. This would be used mainly for towing and hunting, so I don't need a fancy rig, I have a daily driver for that. Budget is around $25k. I know a lot of you are big on the 7.3, but will the 6.0 or 6.4 handle what I need without a bunch of mods? What should I be looking for when I find one? All I know at this point is a crew cab, short box and 4x4.

Any advice is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2010, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

I'd get the newest for the $$. The later 6.0L should have the bugs worked out by now so a 6.0L or the 6.4L should be able to get it done for ya.

If you buy from a dealer, ask to make sure any recalls, tech bulletins have been done. Ask for a CARFAX report - it wouldn't hurt to see if any of the maintanence records are available (probably get those only if the truck was maintained a dealer).
Old 09-07-2010, 02:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpWildcat19 View Post
Hey guys, don't flame me too bad for my first post. I have a 26' Fleetwood Gearbox Toyhauler, bumper pull, which I use for bbq competitions. Loaded weight is around 9500 give or take, with a tongue weight around 1200-1300, using a Class 5 hitch and equalizer. I'm currently pulling it with a 97 F250 HD with the 460 gas motor. Just not cutting it, it's pretty much to the floor just to keep it at 60-65, and the gas gauge is moving pretty fast towards E. So it's time for a diesel, but I'm not sure what I need to be looking for. This would be used mainly for towing and hunting, so I don't need a fancy rig, I have a daily driver for that. Budget is around $25k. I know a lot of you are big on the 7.3, but will the 6.0 or 6.4 handle what I need without a bunch of mods? What should I be looking for when I find one? All I know at this point is a crew cab, short box and 4x4.

Any advice is appreciated.
I would just buy a 7.3{OLD RELIABLE}Then pay BIG $$$ for a 6.0{SICKO} or the 6.4{COIN TOSS}
Old 09-07-2010, 03:02 PM

Can't go wrong with the 7.3. As for the others, someone else will post about
Old 09-07-2010, 03:19 PM
Real Men of Genius

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
All of the powerstroke platforms (7.3, 6.0, and 6.4) are capable of handling that much in tow, easy. Can't go wrong with the 7.3, I love mine. I don't tow anything, but it's pretty awesome. I would stay away from 6.0s from 2003 and 2004. If I were going to get a 6.0, it'd be an '06 or '07.

The 6.4 is a good choice too. And I really like the interior upgrade they gave it, especially since they've been using the same interior (for the most part) since 97!!! It's up to you. Good luck!
Old 09-07-2010, 03:22 PM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

They all have good and bad points. We were just truck hunting for my buddy here the last 2 weeks. The 7.3s are selling for more than book value. You can get a 6.0 way cheaper and get a newer rig but get an OASIS report from a ford dealer on what ever truck you look at. If its got a bad rap sheet, then walk away from it.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks

Thanks for the input. I'll continue to watch the local ads for older 7.3's, I've seen a few pop up from time to time. I can't see myself in a GM or Dodge product and had heard a few of the newer (2000's) Fords had some engine issues, so your input is very helpful. I'll see what I can find in the next few months, since I won't be needing it until next spring when bbq season fires up again.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:26 PM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

Not sure where you live, but if you want a clean truck and are willing to pay for it then check out this website.

Diesel Trucks for Sale: Ford Power Stroke, Dodge Cummins, Chevy Duramax from Handpicked Western Trucks LLC. Current Inventory
Old 10-30-2010, 10:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to mustangman02232 Send a message via Yahoo to mustangman02232
my 04s had the least amout of problems of any of our trucks including the 7.3s. just do your homework, 25k should get you an 05-07 year truck
Old 12-17-2010, 03:12 PM

if your bugdet is 25k then you could find an older 7.3 for like 7-10k and modify it to have the same kinda power a newer one does..... 7.3s great i like mine a lot go for that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.