Who Plows need setup help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Towing, Hauling & Diesel Competition Discussion of Powerstroke Usage EG. Towing & Hauling Habits, Off Roading , Diesel Drags, Sled Pulls, ect...

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2010, 06:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Who Plows need setup help

Lookin to get a few things setup by winter. help me out with some pro's and con's of the following mods I wanna get. I only really plow my shops parking lot and my personal driveway. After that morning of work I take it off and plow sits. I don't just joy ride with it or do commercial work. mainly its getting good traction throughout the winter regarless of weather and roads. I do tow often a sled trailer but nothign super heavy.

Front Suspension: Timbren Bump stops
Fairly cheap, easy easy install, won't effect any driving empty which is majority of time.

Tires: I want something that isn't horribly ugly and small but still functional. I have a set of stock 20's and tires that came on them. Bought used, tread is faily gone, just under 50% left I would say. Looks like they will suck but may be my best bet. I have my stock 17's but there is no E load range tires otu there that are bigger than 285's

Help anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2010, 06:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Edit - just saw your truck in your sig line - I would not worry about the front end for extra/upgraded bump stops unless your running a commercial size blade.

I run a 99 F250 CC Short bed 7.3 W/auto tranny, bone stock except bigger tires (285/75R16) and a series 29 SnoWay plow (8ft ) with a poly blade skin. I plow my driveway , just over a 1000 ft long with a 60 x 80 pad infront of the house. I also plow 2 neighbors totalling about another 1000 ft of drive and then the shared common pad at the street that is about another 60 x 80 pad. I also normally drop the plow at the house after plowing but do drive to work with it on the truck several times a year(10 miles each way). I don't see the need for anything other than the stock bump stops so can't help you on that. I do have the truck aligned every spring and as expected it will eat the stock tie rod ends and ball joints after several years depending on how hard you are on it while plowing (smacking into piles at speed , hitting curbs, etc), as they have gone out I replace with heavy duty stuff, otherwise the front is stock.

Tires - Why not find a set of stock rims and get a good set of ATs or snow and ice tires to run during the winter?

Here is a link to a good plow site for additional info

Last edited by Hippie; 08-25-2010 at 06:30 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Thanks man I hear ya. Well I had a 8' fisher stainless steel but I am puttin that on pops truck and gettin something bigger and for sure a v-plow. So I'm guessing 9-9.2 whatever fisher makes didn't research just yet. So I know stock works just wanted to have something help take some stress away and in long run help those tie rod e d as you said.

My tire options are so far:

Stock 20"s w 275/65-20's which r maybe decent enough for this season but on the bad side. They work I'm sure. Not to wide and at least not really low so they do still look good.

Or

Sell the stock 20's an all and use these stock heavyas he'll 17's and put all the money I make off 20's to buy a nice set of at's. So either way same cost just a matter of what setup I'll look at. And so far no tire makes me happy with size for 17's.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:40 AM
Premium Member

Last season on stock 08 F350 suspenson i was carrying a 8' 6" western and handled it just fine besides the front end sagging about an 1" or so and i also did plenty commercial lots. I went and upgraded the front coils to 7000LB rating (stock i had 6000) and now it sags about 1/2" if that and rides awesome with the plow.
Also tires, last season i had stockers on 20" which where horrible so now i got some toyos mt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.