F250 or F350 which one? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Towing, Hauling & Diesel Competition Discussion of Powerstroke Usage EG. Towing & Hauling Habits, Off Roading , Diesel Drags, Sled Pulls, ect...

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2010, 09:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
F250 or F350 which one?

Hi all, I am brand new to this forum. I have horses and a new to me living quarters horse trailer. It is actually 20 years old but in great condition. It is a Featherlite, 28ft, 3 horse slant. It weighs 10,600 lbs empty. I have 3 horses which will add about 3,500 lbs plus whatever tack, feed, water and supplies. The weight on the hitch is about 5,000 lbs. I will be hauling at most 5 hrs one way. Might make a 1x a year trip across the country but typically staying closer to home. I live in Iowa.

My question is which Ford to get- the F250 or the F350? I don't want a dually unless it is really absolutely necessary. I currently have a 1987 F30 gas crewcab long box. First time we put the trailer on it, we had to inflate the tires. The truck we have will pull it, but can't maintain speed on hills. Everybody (but my husband) says I need a different truck. The problem is nobody agrees on which Ford I need. I am getting a diesel and this one will have 4x4.

I am leaning towards a crewcab- 3 kids shortest is 5.11 and tallest and growing is 6.3. Also really want a short box- 6.5 I believe. The trailer is a gooseneck. I know the shortbox is harder with a gooseneck and I have to watch so I don't take out the back window of the truck.

I would like to drive the new truck as my everyday vehicle and a dually won't fit into our garage. Also will need to drive this truck over icy, snowy roads.

So which truck would you recommend for my needs? Thanks for the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2010, 09:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

go with the f350 for the extra towing capicity. using a dully to tow is so much nicer than a SRW. go drive both and see what one you like, crew cab sounds like a must for your situation
Old 03-22-2010, 09:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to thesmokinstroke02
deffinently get a F350. youll squat the crap out of an F250 with that setup on towing. look for an F350 SRW if you arent a fan of duallys, but i think a dually would be the best option for your situation.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:45 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
My neighbor hauls stuff for his boss for a living, using a SRW LB CC. He really likes it, and says that it will do the same thing that a dually would. You could invest in some airbags if you needed, but I'm sure a CC SB Ford diesel will fit the bill just fine
Old 03-22-2010, 09:46 AM

id think a long box would be better for towing if you ever put things in the bed while you were towing a trailer. we haul our 32ft 5'er with my dads 2500hd duramax ext cab long box and we have a 110 or so gallon aux tank in the bed (L shaped) and it fits just right in there with it all. so i guess it all depends on what you use your bed for while towing or just in general.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the thoughts. Do any of you have trouble with your diesel trucks in the bitter cold if they sit out? If I end up with the dually, it will have to sit outside in the cold and snow/ice storms. Will it need to be plugged in?

Edited to add I am from Iowa. This past winter we had actual air temps -15 to -20 for about a week. We usually run from -5 to 10 for a good share of the winter.

Last edited by Horsehauler123; 03-22-2010 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:09 AM

where are you from? cold to you might not be cold to other members on here. my truck can sit outside plugged in in negative aactual temperature weather and start up just fine. mines a 7.3 though i cant speak for any of the other motors. but usually keeping them plugged in helps tremendously
Old 03-22-2010, 10:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

F-350 would definately be the way to go!
Old 03-22-2010, 10:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesmokinstroke02 View Post
where are you from? cold to you might not be cold to other members on here. my truck can sit outside plugged in in negative aactual temperature weather and start up just fine. mines a 7.3 though i cant speak for any of the other motors. but usually keeping them plugged in helps tremendously
Sorry about that I am from Iowa. I added it in the question so others don't get confused.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:28 AM

okay. then you should be fine. make sure you keep additive in the fuel and keep it plugged in. most important thing though is aditive. you deffinently dont want a gelled up tank. my truck got a new fuel pump and line this winter because of gelled up fuel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.