HELP Cross Country Towing Mods??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Towing, Hauling & Diesel Competition Discussion of Powerstroke Usage EG. Towing & Hauling Habits, Off Roading , Diesel Drags, Sled Pulls, ect...

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2009, 01:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question HELP Cross Country Towing Mods???

First off, I want to say this is an AWESOME forum. I just bought my first diesel a week ago and joined the forum (the addiction has begun) and have learned so much from reading your guy’s experiences, thank you. This also my first "thread" or post really, so I apologize if its in the wrong area...

Now for my question. Starting on Thanksgiving I will be driving from lower Alabama to western Montana (2200mi) towing a 24’ enclosed car hauler, with a car and all my household goods inside (total pull weight around 10k). I have about a $500 budget and 5 days to do any modifications to the truck. I know the budget is low but I know a lot of good ideas are free (or near) and just involve a little elbow grease. Driving from the south to the northwest I will probably experience basically every type of weather there is to be imagined, so my modifications must be able to handle cold climates as well as warm.

The truck: 2005 F250 6.0L CC/SB 115k miles. The truck appears to be bone stock with the exception that somebody has cut out the muffler and welded in a straight pipe. It has 325/65/18’s on the factory wheels and I’m going to leave those for the duration of the trip. No lift, no other modifications.

I am currently having a TBC fault and trying to resolve that (bought a new controller, currently in the mail) and the Tow/Haul function isn’t working (dealership ordered a new gearshift lever, they’re convinced that’s the problem…). I have been leaning toward a programmer to maximize my performance and fuel economy for the trip home. SCT has a great following and that would be my preference, however that would leave me without some important indications in the cab (EGT etc.). Any input at all would be great, THANKS!!!

MODS YOU CAN/WOULD/SHOULD DO WITH $500 IN 5 DAYS OR LESS BEFORE TOWING ACROSS THE COUNTRY.

Last edited by Montana250; 11-21-2009 at 03:48 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2009, 10:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i would do an SCT tuner and a good set of gauges.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:47 PM
Serving Our Country!

where you headed to in montana ?
Old 11-23-2009, 06:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Heading back to Bozeman... can't wait
Old 11-23-2009, 06:54 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Bozeman is a nice town. Been through there a few times.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'm hoping I don't encounter any cold starting issues when get up there (or worse yet, on the trip home). I just got some Opti-Lube XPD and have read that it should assist as an anti-gel type additive... we'll see... Last I heard there was plenty of snow on the ground and more to come... Guess we'll see how the truck tows in snow...
Old 11-23-2009, 05:03 PM
Serving Our Country!

as of right now im in greatfalls and we have no snow on the ground so far its been pretty dry
Old 11-23-2009, 05:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

What do you do (if anything) to winterize your truck? Do you run 15-40 year round or do you drop down to 10-30 in the winter?
Old 11-23-2009, 05:17 PM
Serving Our Country!

nope run the same oil 15-40 just make sure to let it warm up a bit longer and plug it in when it gets real cold !!!
Old 11-23-2009, 06:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Good to know... of all the possible mods I wanted to do before I embarked on my road-trip, the only thing I was actually able to get my hands on was a block heater cord... going in tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.