How much have you towed with a normal ball hitch? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Towing, Hauling & Diesel Competition Discussion of Powerstroke Usage EG. Towing & Hauling Habits, Off Roading , Diesel Drags, Sled Pulls, ect...

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2009, 01:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How much have you towed with a normal ball hitch?

I couldn't find this information anywhere so I figured I'd start up a new thread. I'm looking at hauling a load about 1500 miles and I'm trying to maximize the load. I'll definantly be under the 26,000 max. I know the "recommended" weight is 12,500 lbs but I'm looking for the "average" that you guys have been able to haul "safely".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2009, 06:55 AM
Emergency Services

I towed about 13,000 lbs with a 2" ball. It was about 3 yards of gravel and sand. I definitely underestimated the weight of that. The scales said that I has 11K in material alone, and the trailer was a 20' flat bed. So at least 13K-13.5K.

With a 2&5/16" ball, I've towed up to 20K lbs. I have a 30' car hauler that I use for moving square bales. I can get up to 250 bales on it. 300x60lbs=18000 + the weight of the trailer. I used a load distributing hitch on it when I do that. Not sure how much it really helped, since they were only supposed to support 1500 lbs. Better than nothing, I guess.

With my 2003 F350 dually with a gooseneck, I hauled 40,000 lbs combined weight all day long 3 days a week. That load I felt completely comfortable with. I would deliver hay to the feed store where I was selling it. 20 round bales @ 1200 each, plus the weight of the truck and trailer was pretty close to 40,000 lbs.

I'm not saying any of these things are safe, but it is physically possible. The load on the gooseneck was never a problem at all. Solid as a rock. With my F450, I have even started carrying 23 round bales on the same trailer.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

We towed around 13,500 or 14,000 with a 28' tri-axle when we were hauling square bales. Had no issue at all. That was on the factory hitch with no load-distributing attachment.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:40 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Not my truck(thankfully) but pulled bout 12K of DIRT on a flatbed(trailer is pretty light, nice wood floor and plated sides) with the F550 with a 2" ball.... definitely felt that! it was intense. Put a tractor on there now and then as well. Little kubota..
Old 12-14-2009, 11:46 PM

just make sure your hitch ball and ball mount are rated for your load. Curt makes a class 5 2.5" receiver that will pull 18k. They also make a 2" that will pull 15k. again you need a ball and ball mount rated that high. I have a 10k ball and mount and I have gone a short distance at 11k. I was a little nervous.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:04 PM
Emergency Services

I towed 13,000 with a 2" ball once. The trailer was rated at 7000. I loaded it with sand and gravel from a gravel pit. I had to weigh before and after. I bought 11,000 of sand and gravel, and the trailer weighs at least 2,000. I had no idea that a yard of sand and gravel weighs as much as it does. I didn't even fill my trailer as much as I thought I would. It was about a half of a bucket from a front end loader.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elibenson View Post
I towed 13,000 with a 2" ball once. The trailer was rated at 7000. I loaded it with sand and gravel from a gravel pit. I had to weigh before and after. I bought 11,000 of sand and gravel, and the trailer weighs at least 2,000. I had no idea that a yard of sand and gravel weighs as much as it does. I didn't even fill my trailer as much as I thought I would. It was about a half of a bucket from a front end loader.
That's awesome. Pretty impressive too. Sand/Gravel/Rock weighs about 3400# per cubic yard so the loader probably had a 6 yard bucket. Pretty big loader as well.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:17 AM
Serving Our Country!

Send a message via AIM to 1tonpower
ive pulled 15k with mine, but it was only ten miles and never went over 40...for your trip i would invest in a weight distro hitch. good luck and check the brakes
Old 12-21-2009, 11:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I haul a 15k goose neck, and a 10k 2 5/16 ball drag behind box trailer. I run 600 plus mile trips with them and never a problem. I personally would not go above 15k not that the truck won't handle it, I just want to keep it somewhat legal. (20k is the max gccw)
Old 12-21-2009, 11:12 PM

ive pulled 15-16k on a 2 5/16 ball on a 05 6.0 stakebody.....I do not recommend it without WD system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.